Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filtered Portal Problem

Greg58

This topic is 1727 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a simple database with two tables; Owners and Pets.  One owner can have many pets.  The pets table also has the field for type, such as dog or cat.  I am having problems creating a portal to display just the dog owners.  Have tried various things including a field with the word "Dog" hard wired into it with an = to type on the other side of the relationship.  Any help would be appreciated please.  I have attached my database.

Pets 190802.fmp12

A record in the Owners table contains no information regarding the related pets. In order to filter the portal by the pet types, you must do one of the following: either add a calculation field listing the owner's types to the Owner's table, or add another TO of Pets to the graph and connect it to the TO of Owners used by the portal. Without this, the portal's filtering expression has nothing to work with.

The attached demo shows the first option.

--
Note that this filters the portal, not the relationship. Your attempt:

4 hours ago, Greg58 said:

Have tried various things including a field with the word "Dog" hard wired into it with an = to type on the other side of the relationship

could not have worked, because there is no Type field on the other side of the relationship. And the added calculation field must be unstored, so it too cannot be used as the match field.

Just for completeness, here is how we would do this before portal filtering became available in version 11:

image.png.c03f862f443b3a1835babf8fedc04195.png

PetsFilter.fmp12

Edited by comment

This topic is 1727 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.