Server Maintenance This Week. ×

SMTP Connectivity Issues with AWS & FM Starting Point

This topic is 1701 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have recently purchased the Email plug-in to use with my FM Starting Point database. I have signed up with AWS and got my account out of sandbox but can't seem to authenticate. I run the script debugger and it gets past the authenticating with 360 works and only has a problem with it try to connect with my AWS SMTP server. Any ideas?

Also, I was able to send successfully with SMTP credentials using the FMP Email Client provided.

Edited by srobertson
Updated info

Hi srobertson,

There are two ways to utilize AWS email capabilities with the 360Works Email plugin. The first is to use the function EmailConnectAmazon. This function takes two parameters, an access key and secret key, that are generated for an IAM user. This IAM user also needs to have permissions to access the Simple Email Service so make sure that the correct permissions are applied to the user associated with the keys you are using. If you are unsure, please see this video on how to create IAM users, apply the appropriate permissions, and generate keys. These keys are not to be confused with SMTP keys. SMTP keys look similar to access key/secret keys but only allow access to the SMTP endpoint. You would also use the EmailConnectSMTP function to connect and authenticate in this case. These keys are generated in the SMTP Settings menu in the Simple Email Service module in your AWS account. I am not sure how FMStarting Point utilizes the Email plugin in the solution but I suspect that your issue is either due to incorrect permissions or incorrect keys. 

Please let me know if you have any questions!

The code is using the following call with the same settings that I used in the example Email Client..

EmailConnectSMTP(         $smtp|server ;         $smtp|from_address ;         $smtp|password ;         $smtp|ssl     )

$smptplserver = email-smtp.us-west-2.amaoneaws.com

$smtplfrom_address = [email protected]

$smtplpassword =??

$smtplssl = ssl=1

I am using SMTP Keys so I have the right keys and using the same username and password on both so I don't understand why the function doesn't seem to be working????

10 hours ago, srobertson said:

$smptplserver = email-smtp.us-west-2.amaoneaws.com

I am not sure if this was a typo when typing your response but in case it was a copy/paste from FileMaker, this is an invalid host name. It should be email-smtp.us-west-2.amazonaws.com

The "userName" and "password" parameters for the EmailConnectSMTP function are where you input the SMTP keys you generated. These are the credentials that authenticate the connection request to the AWS SMTP endpoint. The email address you verified for sending is entered in the EmailCreate function as the "from" parameter.

With that being said, if you are going to be using AWS's Simple Email Service to send emails I highly recommend that you use the dedicated function EmailConnectAmazon discussed in my post above. Using it eliminates the need to know hostnames, usernames, passwords, or SSL/TLS settings. You can see a basic example of its usage here. Please let me know if you have any questions!

It looks like a null value is being passed in for the "accessKey" parameter. If you are using a field reference for the accessKey parameter, do you still get the error if you use the actual key instead of a field reference?

The Access key is only used in the EmailConnectAmazon and I tried substituting the field reference with the actual value and I get the same results. As I previously mentioned this connect is returning a result of 1 which indicates that it was successful. It is only on the EmailSend command that I am getting this error.

go ahead and reproduce the error and send your logs to us at [email protected]. Please be sure to reproduce the error and then send the logs before any restarts of FileMaker as restarting will overwrite the logs. See this page for log locations. Reference this thread in the body of your email. 

This topic is 1701 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.