Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Missing Data

JMart

This topic is 1679 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Good day all,

My apologies if i am posting in the wrong group. I am looking for some advice to accomplish the following task.

I have a database with 40 fields, i would like to create a dynamic layout that would show the fields with missing data. is something like this doable.

I currently have a portal that show the users the records with missing data in the portal i want to add a button that will opens a window and displays the missing data fields.

Thanks

JMart

Edited by JMart

11 minutes ago, JMart said:

i would like to create a dynamic layout that would show the fields with missing data. is something like this doable.

Not really. Once you've put a field on a layout, it will be there. The most you can do is hide it conditionally - but then you will just have a layout with "holes" in it.

40 fields sounds like a lot. Are you sure they should be fields and not records in a related table? Your current request also hints in that direction.

An easier approach would be to filter records that have missing data, then use conditional formatting for those fields to highlight them. Showing only fields that have missing data might result in important context for those fields missing as well. Ie, consider if you have an address list, and have records missing the city. How would you know what city to enter if all you see is a list of empty city fields? You need context around it, ie customer, street info, state, country etc.

I'll echo what @comment says: 40 fields seems like a lot, do all fields need to be filled in all the time?  If not then perhaps there is an opportunity to identify the 'type' of thing the user is entering data for and just present the fields that are relevant.

Regardless of that, try to validate the user's input at the time of the input, with a workflow that forces them to be complete.  Much easier than trying to make them circle back to old records and come up with constructs to make them complete their work after the fact.

Thanks guys for your input, i figured it was not doable, but it was worth the try. yes the 40 fields are user data entry, the table had a total of 98 field. This is a some what flat database to collect time the document advances in the warehouse. the 40 fields  are mostly the are start-and-end time. the rest are calculations to determine time between process.   

@comment that is how i have a layout with all the required fields and they change color conditional i was just thinking of something more fancy.. 

This topic is 1679 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.