Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multi - server sync: Sync only certain sync_LAYOUTs per machine?

This topic is 1666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Before I try this I want to run this by someone who is more experienced than I am: 

Syncing 4 Filemaker Servers one on each continent, with about 20 sync layouts on each machine. 

Let's call my synced Servers FMS1, FMS2, FMS3, FMS4. 

One of my sync layouts, let's call it sync_LOTSOFDATA, contains large text fields. 

However, only FMS1 and FMS2 need to sync sync_LOTSOFDATA. 

Currently, all that data is also synced to FMS3 and FMS4, where I don't need sync_LOTSOFDATA. 

Can I just delete the sync_LOTSOFDATA layouts on FMS3 and FMS4, but still have MirrorSync continue to sync sync_LOTSOFDATA between FMS1 and FMS2, while syncing all remaining 18 sync_LAYOUTS between all 4 servers?

I guess my question is as to how MirrorSync behaves when a sync layout is missing on one of the FMS machines - skip and continue with the remaining servers - or halt and die?

I would equally not be surprised that if I deleted all fields from the sync_LOTSOFDATA layout on FMS3 and FMS4 only in an attempt to selectively spare the extra sync effort to FMS3 and FMS4 only, MirrorSync would then interpret these missing fields to trigger deletion of all records on sync_LOTSOFDATA on FMS1 and FMS2 also? Lots of concerns here. 

I'm mainly asking because MirrorSync likes to stop altogether if one of the four FMSx machines drops offline rather than to keep syncing the remaining three FMSxs until the failed one comes online again?

Thank you!

Edited by DataCruncher
fixed typo

in my experience that would be a failure for you. It would halt and die miserably. I am not doing server to server syncs so not sure if what I am about to share help, but might point you in the right direction. I can’t imagine it being to different between the 2 types

I would suggest creating a separate sync configuration that does not include the layouts that you do not need. However this approach would mean you need to manage 2 sync configurations and rollouts.

OR

Alternatively if you are using XML to sync, you can use the customization script to filter your results before sending to the spoke

FILTER WHICH RECORDS WILL BE SYNCED -- about line 92 in the script is where you would start to read about it.

If possible maybe preclude the filter of your layouts with an 

If [Get (SystemIPAddress)=“xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx”]

I would then continue to setup a filter that returns zero results for that layout. Repeat for each server IP address you wish to exclude.

Again apologizes if there is not a customization script with server to server sync’s but wanted to share something with you.

Nate

Hello,

You won't want to delete layouts or fields from your solution if the sync configuration is set to sync any of that information. It will break the MirrorSync script, and throw a lot of layout/field is missing errors.

Each server-to-server sync should have its own configuration. One file can have multiple sync configurations. All you'll need to do is exclude layouts from the sync if you do not want MirrorSync to process them.

For example, if you have three servers(FMS1, FMS2, FMS3), each with a copy of the same file, and you want to sync tables A, B, C between FMS1 and FMS2, and sync tables B, C, D between FMS1 and FMS3, just create two configurations with FMS1 as the hub where the FMS1<->FMS2 sync only includes layouts for tables A, B, and C, and the FMS1<->FMS3 sync includes layouts for tables B, C, and D. The file on FMS1 will have two sets of MirrorSync scripts, but both will run "independently" of one another---I say "independently" because both syncs would reference the same sync data and same record information, but one sync should not hinder the other.

If you already have sync configurations set up for your solutions, just step through the sync configuration, exclude the layouts you want to exclude, then recopy the script steps into your solutions.

Hi Nate,

Yes, the server-to-server sync does implement the customization script if it's a XML configuration. This is best used for filtering at the record level. I think the post is requesting to exclude data at the table level, which could be filtered using customization, but leaving a layout out of the sync for that table would be a simpler and safer solution in that instance. But you are right, that customization script exists, and deleting layouts included in a sync would be problematic. Thank you for your input!

This topic is 1666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.