Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to find biggest values below 6000 and above 6000 from all fields?

R2D2

This topic is 1579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!

I have a database with 7 columns and several rows containing numbers (see the picture). I would need to find the biggest numbers in whole found set below 6000 (1000 - 5999) and above 6000 (>6000). For example 1017 and 6037. I've tried different approaches but now I have to give up. Probably the solution is vey simple but I just cannot figure it out now.☹️ Any ideas?

866808070_Screenshot2019-12-2915_43_46.thumb.jpg.00aa4bc10522ee3dce699c3921181ba6.jpg

Edited by R2D2

Consider changing your structure to a relational one: instead of 7 columns (which appear to be sparsely populated) use 7 (or any other number of) records in a child table. This will allow you to deal with just one set of numbers instead of 7 - and is likely to make a lot of other tasks easier too.

To find the largest number, you could perform a find for values in the given range, then sort the records and get the value from the last (or the first) record. Or use a summary field defined as Maximum of the value field. 

Achieving the same thing with your current structure would be very cumbersome. 

Thank you comment! I need to keep this one table "non-relational" because it is kind of a "base table" to a numerous other relational tables. Of course this could be done as you said, but then I'll be completely lost among all the relations😫

I found a clumsy but working solution: I created 7 Summary Fields (one for each column) with Maximum of found set. Then I made a script with 14 repetitive Finds with search criterias <6000 and above 6000, and picked after each Find the maximum number to a variable. Finally I listed those variables and picked the winners.

As I said, dirty code, but it works

This topic is 1579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.