Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can Instant Web Publishing do this?

This topic is 8229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm trying to get started doing db publishing on the web for my nonprofit. We have two simple databases to 'webify' :

One is a list of grantees and info about them. (a flat file)

Second, we want to let our web visitors join a mailing list--- they would enter info into form fields, hit submit, and the data would go into an FM database. (another flat file)

Here's my questions:

1. Can FM Pro 5.5 (w/ web companion?) do this using it's Instant Web Publishing features?

1. Is FM Pro 5.5 much better or different from 5.0 or 4.0 with regards to web publishing features?

2. Would you recommend Marie Langer's book "Database Publishing with FileMaker Pro on the Web" even though it's written for FM 4.0?

3. Any other recommendations for reference material (books, online materials) needed to do a task like this?

You can do all of this with Instant, but you won't have any or much control over how it looks. If you need any feature other than what you've got you cannot change it.

Regarding FMP 4, 5, 5.5: FMP 5.0 offers in-line actions but apart from that they're all pretty much the same.

Books etc, I cannot help you with other than getting hold of the CDML Reference database free from FileMaker Inc web site for the time you realise that Custom publishing is the way to go.

This topic is 8229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.