Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Gerneral Advice wanted

This topic is 8083 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I am new to FMP and am currently making an inventory/POS software for a client. Basically I want some general advice since i can figure out how to do things after I am told where to look. The inventory is almost done, I have one problem that I am dealing with in another post. The POS on the other hand is a little more difficult. I now next to nothing about POS and know what I would like it to do.

I want it so that when someone scans a barcode the item is automatically added to a shopping list in FMP. the cashier should also be able to look for the item in inventory (which is in the same window just above the pos) and add it to the list. I then want to make it so that FMP opens the cash droor and adjusts the inventory. What should I use for this list? A portal?

I also want FMP to make and keep up a file of every transaction with details about what was sold and what cashier sold it. I think I can figure out how to manage workgroups and log-ins but I'm not sure about this file of transactions and can I have FMP keep up two copies, one on a separate machine?

There are a bunch of extras but i will figure those out later.

Just tell me to "look into X (with Y enabled) for the shopping list and ask someone else about the file of transactions"

Thanks!!

Use Portals for your 'List'. The items barcodes will scan directly into the item_id field of the selected portal row.

You may need a 'button' and script which has a 'goto field' script step. This maybe easier than moving the mouse pointer to the appropriate input field.

All the best.

Garry

This topic is 8083 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.