Port number problems

This topic is 8183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear All,

I have a set of Filemaker databses being served for CDML access through port 112 - set by web hosting provider. Unfortunately some of my potential users are behind a firewall. Is there anyway to route this so it goes through port 80. I can't get the web hoster to change the port, but they thought it could be overcome through an ASP, but that seems like an Access solution

Dave Collins

No Limits IT www.nolimitsit.com

[email protected]

Unfortunately I can't change the Port number on my service providers server. Is there anyway of routing it through something else to make it appear as if it has come from port 80.

E.g. Web Browser requests Intermediate Page (Port 80)

Intermediate Page passes on the request to Web companion(Port 112)

Web Companion sends it back to intermediate page

Intermediate Page sends it back to Web Browser.

Thanks

Dave Collins

Hi, if you use the web server connector on the webserver and have your copy of Filemaker on another computer, then all the requests are served by the webserver - on port 80 - rather than by Filemaker.

The Filemaker computer doesn't need a registered domain ID, just a static IP address that the webserver can access.

This has the advantage of also being a performance boost.

regards, jeff

Dear GaryCl and others

Do you have any idea how to create the ASP or JSP pages? I know it is possible, but I need to find out how.

I wish I could change the port number on my web hosting companies server, but they are hesitant because of all the other websites they have hosted through their machine. It turns out if they would change it to 591 it would overcome all of my firewall problems.

Just a thought, if I was successful in creating an ASP or JSP, would this overcome the ten IP addresses limit in standard filemaker, as all requests to the web companion would be routed through the one IP address?

Dave Collins

• 5 weeks later...

Miracle - my service provider has decided tto change it's port number- there is a God. Thanks to all who helped with suggestions.

Two last questions (for this problem anyway). Has anyone had any problems with linux proxy servers (squid) and port 591. I'm just worried I about to hit a new set of problems.

When it has worked, cookies don't seem to be working as thoses behind squid are being treated as one entity. Students are logging in sucessfully but then have access to the wrong records.

This topic is 8183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.