Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 1438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On our tiny relational db, we have

CLIENTS - with Client nº, Source, FIrst_name & Second_Name

Policies -with Client Nº, Policy Nº, StartDate, Premium, PolicyStatus ( i.e. Active or cancelled)

Once the User has done a find, for the policies for their selected SOURCE, I want to print of a report, in STARTDATE order, with these details for all policies for the given SOURCE 

At the moment, I get the policies for the defined FIND SET i.e. the User selected SOURCE, but the report only shows the the FIRST policy for each client.

What am I missing?

NB Thisis on Win 10 Machine, with Filemaker 16

This is rather confusing, because you say Source is a field in the Clients table - so the user cannot have  "done a find, for the policies for their selected SOURCE".

If you want to print all policies whose client has a selected source, you should perform the find from a layout of the Policies table (searching in the related Source field), and also print from there.  

Alternatively, you could start by finding the clients that satisfy the criteria, and then:

Go to Related Record [Show only related records; From table: "Policies"; Match all records in the current found set ]

to create the same found set in Policies. But that's an unnecessary complication.

The client is derived from various sources, so we pay commission to that source for all the policies for all the clients, hence SOURCE is a client field.  The user can do a find on the CLIENT layout for which we have a policy portal showing all polices for the currently selected client.  SO once a USER does a FIND on SOURCE, there may be 21 clients in the Found set, and each of those clients has 1 or more policies.  Hope that clarifies the relationship.

I can only repeat what I said before. Apparently, you are printing from a layout of Clients and you have fields from the Polices table on this layout. These fields will show the data from the first policy of each client. You will get more if you place these fields in a portal - but if you want to make sure you get them all, do your find and print from a layout of Policies. There are additional advantages to this, such as getting the records to print correctly across page breaks and being able to reduce the height of each record to remove blank spaces in the printout.

Edited by comment

I have tried listing the policies in a portal, it still only prints either for one client or several clients, but 1 policy each.  I am sure this is an example of where if I was in a tutorial class, somebody could see what I am doing and point out the silly mistake I am making.  The underlying tables must have the correct relationships as I can do the find on the database and can scroll through the clients, with all their associated polices being displayed in the policy portal.  I am just struggling to get this information on one printout/layout.

And yes, i appreciate there are the additional printing advantages of height, removing blank spaces, alternate line highlighting etc.

8 minutes ago, chris7of9 said:

I have tried listing the policies in a portal

I am trying to tell you that you should NOT be using a portal for printing. If you followed my advice to print from the Policies table, then no portal is necessary (or makes sense). The print layout should be a list view of all the policies you want to print (my first post explains how to establish such found set). Place fields from the Policies table in the body part and fields from the Clients table in a sub-summary by client part. Sort the records by client in order to show the sub-summery part. That's all there is to it.

This topic is 1438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.