Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Auto entry based on Checkbox Set

This topic is 1423 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am trying to do something rather simple. I have a list of 5 charges for my business, each in their own field. I have defined a value list of each of the charges as a checkbox set.

So. What I am trying to do is enter the appropriate value to the fields based on items selected in the checkbox set.

Fee 1 - 1700

Fee 2 - 225

Fee 3 - 150

etc.

How would I set it up so that if Fee1 is checked, then 1700 gets automatically entered into the field "Fee 1"?

I know the basics of "if this then that" but just can't figure this one out!

Any other suggestions welcome as well.

Thanks so much!

Jerry

56 minutes ago, LuckyMan said:

I have a list of 5 charges for my business, each in their own field.

This is not a good starting point. You should handle the fees the same way as adding products to an invoice. Start with a table of FeeTypes where each fee type has a record with the current fee amount. Then create a record in a Fees join table for each fee you add to your invoice(?), and lookup the fee amount from the FeeTypes table.

Edited by comment

OK, I will give that a shot, THANK YOU!

This may or may not work for the structure of these particular invoices.

We are a contractor for a hospital. So, the invoices are for a group of cases done within a particular date range, with with charges based on what procedures are done.  So, the fields for each service would need to be if "yes", then charge applied, if "no", no charge applied, with subtotal and grand total.  I know how the math calculations.  What I need to do is have a list of the services, check off which ones apply, and automatically populate the amounts.

Again, THANK YOU so much for your help.

JG

I just can't quite get it. I've set up a table of 6 charges (charge table).  I've set a relationship to the main DB table.

Struggling with the syntax/action.

So, for each entry slot,  I need it to be something like, if Checked (or if "yes", or if  "Y" or whatever), THEN lookup and enter the value for CHARGE 01 from the charge table. I've done this before, years ago, and i know it's pretty simple, but I just cannot remember.

I wonder if anyone can help

JG

I am struggling to understand your description. I think you have a parent table of invoices, with each invoice comprising of multiple charges. What I cannot figure out if fees are applied to an invoice as a whole or to individual charges. Or perhaps fees and charges are the same thing? 

Edited by comment

I just can't quite get it. I've set up a table of 6 charges (charge table).  I've set a relationship to the main DB table.

Struggling with the syntax/action.

So, for each entry slot,  I need it to be something like, if Checked (or if "yes", or if  "Y" or whatever), THEN lookup and enter the value for CHARGE 01 from the charge table. I've done this before, years ago, and i know it's pretty simple, but I just cannot remember.

I wonder if anyone can help

JG

I know, I'm not explaining it properly because i just don't know the language or the syntax of the commands.

Sorry about that. Check out the attached files and see if you can tell what I mean.

Thank you for taking your time to look at this. Once I learn a few simple things, my business life will be SO much better and more efficient.

Jerry

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 2.29.53 PM.png

CHARGES_PROTOTYPE copy.fmp12

Comment has suggested a much more relational approach. Attached is one take on that, hopefully it will give you some ideas. It uses tables for Patients; CASES; CaseCharges (line items); FEES; and a PROCEDURES table and associated ProcedureCharges table. It is in a semi-polished state, some things are in place that I was just testing.

CHARGES_TEST modBFR.fmp12

Edited by bruceR
Added some small improvements to the file.
  • Like 1

Glad you have found it useful. It's a good staring point for you but there are certainly things I'd change or improve. Others may or may not jump in to demonstrate some of those improvements, by modifying this file or contributing their own. 

This topic is 1423 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.