Starting out completely fresh

This topic is 1413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Given that you are starting a new custom web publishing site with FileMaker 19, with no legacy database or tools, starting completely fresh, building a solution that will not be hooked up to a store, but will be a multi-tenant solution that must include user authentication with at least 3 levels of security privileges.

What development tools would you choose, and why?  

KeyCloak - because I can run this on-prem and in cloud with my installation of FileMaker Server on Linux. I would write an XSLT to publish to something in the cloud; WordPress, Blogger, or bare back.

Not sure if I answered your questions in full. Not sure which levels of security you are talking about. Field level? Table level? BD level? SSO?

Edited by ggt667

I did a presentation at the Berlin dotFMP conference yesterday on using Keycloak as the Identity Provider (IdP) for authentication users into FM.  So you can certainly use it to provide authentication for both your web site and your FM solution.

As to web publishing FM data I wouldn't use XSLT unless that's a skill you already have.  I would use the FMS Data API since it is a REST web service and any skills you learn on the REST side are more likely to pay off in other projects than XML+XSLT.

Now I'm confused: How would you use the DATA API from let's say PSOS to publish? Are you ever involved with SEO?

As with any integration between two systems you have two big options:

1) either push from inside FM

2) or pull from the outside system

(and often there is a 3rd option of putting something between the two systems that is responsible for pulling and pushing between both).

Not sure where you are reading SEO into the original question so I'll just be content to be confused about that.

Most custom web publishing solutions will dynamically want to read data from FM, hence the Data API.

This is how I usually push data

PSOS

1) export records as XML w/XSLT to temp folder

2) crontab / svcadm / systemctl / launchctl to transfer the data using rsync or curl to / from whatever place the data is needed.

That said this is mainly for data that is issued, used as template, my uses cases are anything from static web pages for SEO optimization to MySQL, Postgres, elastic search, CoreData or Storyboards, through Vue or Angular, for the 2-3 cases where interaction with the database itself is preferred I do use DATA API, SDL, or GraphQL.

The only place I only do DATA API is when putting data back into FileMaker; Yet in this case I proxy the calls through a Server Side Swift or NodeJS REST API and nginx reverse proxy.

Edited by ggt667

This topic is 1413 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.