Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Google Maps in FileMaker with Carafe

This topic is 1325 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I’m probably a bit late to the party but with v19 I’m having a closer look at leveraging JavaScript within FileMaker. Carafe is a very nice solution and I started with the Google Maps example to get my head around whats happening.

Carafe made it really easy to get things in place although I initially only had default black markers because I “mistakenly” used “colour” as the key. 

I do have a small issue … I’ve noticed that zooming out gets a little weird if the minimumClusterSize is set to 1 or if the set of markers is a single record.  In the case of a single record presentation starts at max zoom in and as you zoom out the marker stays “fixed” in place but not true to its “position”.  For default zoom I guess the current code sets the zoom to be appropriate to accommodate the supplied data set.  Not sure why the marker doesn’t stay accurate ... seems only to be accurate at max zoom.

I understand that for clustering purposes the location has to take into consideration the markers being clustered but it seems to be quite inaccurate when you get down to individual markers.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you're right that with the cluster feature enabled, you're at crossed purposes with the size set to 1. Really it's intended to be set to more than one. It would be possible to do without the cluster feature added, but this bundle isn't set up for that use case.

• Newbies

Yes it seems to work when there are clusters but once you get to individual pins they are not accurate.

I decided to scape the Carafe implementation and went with the example code on the Google Developer site.

Now I get clusters when zoomed out and accurate pin locations when zoomed in.  Added some bounds based on the extremities of my data and initial Zoom = 1 so my map starts showing all my locations and clusters as appropriate.  You can then zoom in but can't zoom out further or shift outside the data area.

This topic is 1325 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.