Automatic Passwords

cmury

This topic is 7904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

All,

Can you 'automatically' enter a protected DB with an established password?

Here's the situation ;

I've created a 'Login' DB that identfies the user through a login name and user password. OK

This procedure also identifies the user's 'FM' password. This is a shared password that is used across a number of DBs. That is, various users have this password to access various levels of the DBs. For all users [except admin] this 'FM' password is not seen. The 'FM' passwords are consistent across all DBs

What I would like to do is have the 'Login' DB open a 'Main' DB with the 'FM' password. This would be achieved without the standard password requirement.

The point of this is that once the 'Main' DB is open with the 'FM' password, this level of security is then established on all the linked or related files associated with the 'Main' DB. I could do this simply by protecting the 'Main' file and opening it directly BUT I want the user to be identified.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Set the 'FM' password as the default by selecting Edit > Preferences > Document.

You only need to do this with the main file if you open the other files with a script or relationship from that file. (it's like a cascading password, it filters down to the other files)

If you need to open the DB with the admin password, hold down the shift key while opening the file. It will then allow you to enter a password manually.

Maybe applescript to copy the 'FM' password (1 of 3) from the login DB, which, in turn opens the Main DB that has the standard FileMaker Password Dialogue, and then have the applescript paste the password in and click OK?

Of course, this is in theory, because, 1. I've never done it, and 2. I use Windows. I can't think of an automated way to do something like that on the windows platform. But that's not to say it can't be done with some creativity and ingenuity.

No, no, this is much simpler and you were on the right track with the automatic entering of the password via the document preferences.

Here is how it works. You open file A with a password, and file A opens files B though Z. So long as all those files have the same password that A does, then A will open them with that password. Only if the password does not exist will it prompt you.

ALWAYS set a <no password> password with the most restrictive access rights and set this as your default password in the Document -> Preferences, so that if the file is opened alone it will open with the most restricive access.

Your launcher file can prompt the user for a password or operate in what ever manner you wish.

I'm not sure that is addressing the question that was proposed (and later clarified).

What I understood was that the Login file (File A). Waits to see which user logs into the database via a homemade login routine. Then, based on the User chosen, the rest of the files B-Z are opened with 1 of 3 different levels of access passwords using the FileMaker built in security.

If File A is opened using a default password that is passed immediately on to files B-Z, then all users have the same access. I think the question was how to be given a choice upon startup.

Obviously, the simplest answer is to just use the correct password the first time, instead of creating something that will eventually enter that password anyways for the user. (Like CaptKurt was saying I believe)

Good idea! Obviously this isn't a secure setup by any means (as the user could just double click any of the three launcher files to open the DB, and bypassing the Login DB.)

But if it was not intended for security, this would satisfy the convenience requirement.

Thanks for the help...I think I have it.

I've kept the 'Login' DB that checks the identity of the user [login + password] and also identifies their 'FM' password.

Using an IF script function the user is automatically directed to 1 of 3 'Main' DBs depending on their 'FM' password. These DBs each use one of the 'FM' passwords as a default login at opening. This sets up the access previelages associated with each of the subsequent, related or linked DBs. The 3 DBs will also be hidden in a shared arrangement.

This not the ideal solution. What would be great is if the ScriptMaker 'Open' function could open a DB with a password. That is "Open with password"

I did a check on the AppleScript idea. There is a command that allows you to open a database file with a given password. However this can not be executed from within ScriptMaker. So I believe you could only use it from the Finder or other applications. This may solve this problem for other people [eg an individual script on each user's desktop] but it does not identify the login user which is what I require!

Thanks again for the help. Anymore comments please let me know.

Chris :-)

This topic is 7904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.