Numbering portal records

roger111

This topic is 1234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone, looking for an assist.  I have related tables, and use a portal to display records.  I would like those records to be numbered, simply 1 through whatever.  I can't figure out how to get this done.  Can someone help? Thank you! Roger

• Newbies

Thank you, comment!  I'll try it right away.  And thank you for the specific reference.  The problem I often have when looking at these instructions is that I don't speak SQL or database, so I often don't recognize the answer even when the answer is staring me in the face.  I'm just a single-user making a database for my own purpose (in this case, to manage a large music collection).    I've managed to build a solution for myself, and just want to improve on what I have.  Thank you for taking the time to answer.  Happy Thanksgiving, should you be in the States.  Best regards, Roger

While comment's suggestion works, I experience a few problems with it. Consequently, I always add a calculation field to my tables, and make it unstored, get( recordNumber).

See attached example file and screenshots. The advantage of using a layout variable is that you don't need to modify the field definitions.

The disadvantage, in my experience, is that any time you touch the formatting of the variable, it resizes itself. 

variableExpands.jpg

touchformat.jpg

SimpleRecNum.fmp12

• Newbies

Thank you, Bruce, I did get comment's suggestion to work, but I'll try yours, too.  A related question: can I use the get( recordNumber) function to somehow provide a count of certain records on a page?  Say for instance that I want a page of statistics showing how many records in a certain field start with the letter A, the letter B, and so on.

I'm learning by doing, essentially, and I appreciate the generous help of the people on this forum.  Best to you and stay healthy.

This topic is 1234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.