"Words" adn other text functions help!

This topic is 1213 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Good morning, everyone!  I have a milti-line field that I use to drop in a name and address, which I then have to parse out to other fields.  I've attached an example photo of the multi line field, and the other fields to which I need to add the data.

My question is - how can I use the text functions to "grab" the key data (such as the 2nd "address" line, the third "zip code" line, etc) separately, since we have the multi-line data issue?  What would be the most efficient way to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance.

data sample.PNG

You can extract the text from a specific line in a multi-line field by using the GetValue() function:

GetValue ( YourField ; 2 )

will return the text from the 2nd line of the field.

Extracting specific data can be done in various ways; which way is the best depends on the rules by which the input data is organized - and this is hard to determine from a single example. For instance, if the ZIP code is always a group of digits with a possible hyphen separator, you could use:

RightWords ( YourField ; 1 )

to extract it. Or, if you know it's always in the format of #####-####, you could use:

Right ( YourField ; 10 )

to get the same result.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, comment said:

You can extract the text from a specific line in a multi-line field by using the GetValue() function:

GetValue ( YourField ; 2 )

will return the text from the 2nd line of the field.

Extracting specific data can be done in various ways; which way is the best depends on the rules by which the input data is organized - and this is hard to determine from a single example. For instance, if the ZIP code is always a group of digits with a possible hyphen separator, you could use:

RightWords ( YourField ; 1 )

to extract it. Or, if you know it's always in the format of #####-####, you could use:

Right ( YourField ; 10 )

to get the same result.

Thank you!  Works like a charm :)

This topic is 1213 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.