Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FTPeek Running very slowly, in practice crashing

This topic is 1186 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have FTPeek deployed in a multi-user environment where it's been working for some time, their current license is up to v2, but some users still use v1. On a new Windows machine running FM 18 and FTPeek v2, we are getting a unique problem - when the script is run by the user and gets to the FTP step, it just stops, the user sees a white screen, with the hourglass, and it never changes. If she presses Escape, the script stops, the window can be closed, but Filemaker stops responding and eventually will need to be force quit. If I run the script with script debugger on the users' computer, it steps through each step with no error. But every time it runs on its own, it stops. We have other machines, mac & windows, running FM 18 & FTPeek v2, and this is the only computer it happens on. Any ideas? Thanks!

I think that it's stopping at the FTPeek call because the script exports an csv file, then FTPs it to the server, and the export is happening (the file is in its designated folder on the desktop), but the server is not getting the file. Also, the window name where the process freezes has a (3) in it, so I know what part of the script it's in when it stops. The function is FTPeek_ConnectFTP - although just prior to that step, I run FTPeek_Version to be sure the plug in is installed properly. Again, though, when I ran through the script step by step, both functions ran without error. 

Thanks for your help - let me know what else I can get you to help troubleshoot. 

Also a note that going through my email, I see an email to your support on April 27, 2017 that was for a similar issue (with the same client) - the subject line is "Re: FTPeek running *really* slowly (HD-34668)" - and I have two outgoing emails with that header, and one from you with a question, but I don't have your solution/reply. So I don't know how we solved that one. 

In that case though, the script did eventually finish - it just took 5 minutes. But in this case we have left it for an hour and returned to find it unmoved, so I'm not sure it's the same problem. 

Thanks for that info. Sounds like it could be GUI related but I'm only speculating. 

First make sure this user has the latest FTPeek 2 version installed, version 2.314 available here. Once updated or if they are already using that version, modify the FTPeek_connect function to have the optional parameter "loggingLevel=DEBUG". This will log all communication between the server and FTPeek to the plugin logs. After adding that parameter, reproduce the issue. Before any restarts of FileMaker(restarting will overwrite the logs), send an email to [email protected] with the plugin logs attached. See this page for log locations. You can refer to this thread in the body of the email.  

Hi Rebecca,

I took a look at your logs and it does indeed look like the issue is GUI related. The error isn't occurring on connect but rather during FTPeek_UploadFile. Specifically, it looks like the issue is happening when the plugin is trying to draw a progress bar window. Try adding the following function to your script:

FTPeek_SetShowProgress[Show Progress Flag: 0 ]

This should turn off progress bars. Make sure to call that prior to the upload function and see if it resolves the hanging issue you are seeing.

I emailed. Getting that log file takes a lot of effort - I have to have the user join a remote call, and keep her from working while I run the script, make her computer crash, then email myself the log file. If you can check the script first to see if I did something obviously wrong, that would be helpful. 

This topic is 1186 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.