Trying to use FM WebDirect for the first time, and many of the operations are unresponsive

This topic is 755 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I create a database many years ago, and I was very much hoping that the people who use the database would be able to transition from the Filemaker app to WebDirect. However, in my initial testing of WebDirect, many of the things that they will need to click on to carry out an operation result in unresponsiveness. For example, clicking on a radio button set to change a value from "y" to "n" does nothing. Clicking on a button to initiate a script does nothing. Are all of my layout going to have to be redesigned, which is jut no practical (there are so many of them), or is there something I need to be doing to get things to respond?

WD is a different animal that you will need to create specific layouts for and also pay attention to theme and styled elements. Also scripted processes will change depending on the task at hand in a lot of cases you could perform scripts server side.

A seasoned FM solution will not simply just work on WD without a fair amount of effort to optimize for this platform. 

Thanks, it is very helpful to have a realistic assessment of the difficulty. The database in question is fairly complex, often with multiple layouts laid on top of each other in the course of completing a script. So this may well be too big an undertaking. 

I do the lion's share of the work setting up the database each year. One other person does a fair bit, and then there are maybe four other people who do very little, but it is key to have them do that small amount. These people can change from year to year. It would be so much easier if they didn't have to go to the trouble of installing FM Pro for the little they do.

I was wondering since my last email whether I could isolate the functionality these people need access to and get that to work with WebDirect. But the small tasks they perform still invoke complicated scripts with layouts on  top of layouts, so maybe this is easier said than done.

You could create a separate file that is just for the WD audience, replicate what is needed to provide functionality without changing code on the main system.

Another option is Apps On Demand you could setup a server where users can access FMP thru a browser they would have access to the full solution but wouldn't need to have them install FMP. 

Many thanks for the suggestions.

It sounds as though option 1 would be the more work-intensive of the two but nothing like redesigning from scratch. So WebDirect would interact with the smaller file (file2), which would sit side-by-side on the server with the original, bigger file (file1). File2 would access data from file1. Is this correct?

It sounds as though option 2 would be the much easier of the two to implement but maybe pricy for a small operation. Also correct?

I'm trying to figure out the best solution for at least trying to get WebDirect to work for the small # of users who would perform only simple tasks, and I don't quite see how your option 1 (create a separate file that is just for the WD audience) would work, given that the second file would need full access to the database for the original file. Shouldn't I be creating a separate subset of scripts and layouts within the first file and keep everything together in the one file? I would use Get(SystemPlatform) to branch off to a different layout and script on opening if the user is invoking the database from WebDirect. I have no experience using more than one file for a single use case. It seems very complicated, if not impossible.

Edited by jjjjp

you would need to use external authentication or add user accounts to both files .

Yes you could separate your logic for each audience in one file and branch your scripts to different layouts or just duplicate scripts that only operate for your WD users. 

I have done this for solutions that have one file that have Desktop / FMGo and Web direct users. 

I am having a tentative go at getting WebDirect to work for a minimal # of tasks, and I am stuck right away on portals. Specifically I cannot modify fields in a portal. I don't see anything in the guide that says portals won't work. I've simplified the task to a bare minimum, deleting everything extraneous, and still I can't modify the fields on a portal. Am I missing something obvious?

I am attaching the FM file. The WebDirect version can be accessed at https://daviesfm.uc.utoronto.ca/fmi/webd/WebDirectTest

Login: Admin

Password: Admin

Thanks.

WebDirectTest.fmp12

Unfortunately your on FMS 16 I don't have an os presently able to access FM16 server. 
I would strongly recommend not endeavoring on deploying on this version of server is EOL as of Sept 2020

You are bound to find issues with modern browsers going forward. 

https://support.claris.com/s/article/Product-Availability-and-Compatibility?language=en_US

A bit of a Catch 22 situation. The reason I have such a low version of FM Server is to avoid asking those users who need access for a small slice of time to go to the trouble of downloading a new version of FM Pro, particularly given that most need to get their IT support people to authorize the install. If I'm not successful in getting WebDirect to work, then I will have created yet more time-consuming work for them in support of a small annual task.

I assume that FileMaker Pro 15, won't work with Filemaker Server 19. Or will it?

In any case, I will aim to get my IT support to install FM Server 19 (I wouldn't mind getting up to date) and will get back to you if I still can't get basic operations to work in WebDirect.

Thanks for all the help so far.

• 9 months later...
On 6/15/2021 at 10:35 PM, jjjjp said:

Thanks, it is very helpful to have a realistic assessment of the difficulty. The database in question is fairly complex, often with multiple layouts laid on top of each other in the course of completing a script. So this may well be too big an undertaking. 

Generally I've found getting Databases working on WebDirect fairly graceful, provided you're not using the Classic layout.

One problem I've found when testing is that if there's a box around some fields (to separate up a layout for example) it works in FMPRO but only works in WD if the object order is correct - usually that means sending the box to the back. Might that be part of your issue?

If you're going with WebDirect I'd suggest upgrading the server fairly quickly after that as the WebDirect functionality is much better in FMS 19.

This topic is 755 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.