Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Data Migration Tool version

This topic is 991 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have FMDataMigration version 17.0.1.143, I haven't used it since long ago, do you know if it works well with files created by FileMaker 19?

Thanks for your reply, it's not that I didn't think about your suggestion but the latest version is sold bundled with a lot of stuff I don't really need, and it's not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 10:11 AM, naio said:

Thanks for your reply, it's not that I didn't think about your suggestion but the latest version is sold bundled with a lot of stuff I don't really need, and it's not cheap.

Can you clarify what you mean? It is included in the FileMaker Developer Subscription. While I can't speak for you, I know the DMT tool alone has saved me significantly more than $99 worth of time.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:44 AM, Josh Ormond said:

Can you clarify what you mean? It is included in the FileMaker Developer Subscription. While I can't speak for you, I know the DMT tool alone has saved me significantly more than $99 worth of time.

I understand that an independent developer gets a lot in the FileMaker Developer Subscription (that' where DMT is included) but in my business I develop my own solutions, so I already pay for 1 FMS license and 3 FM licenses, IMHO that should include the DMT. The subscription license is an additional 10% to the cost of the whole license package and all I get from it is DMT.

Anyway, I already paid once for the subscription, but I wonder if an old DMT works well with the current FM version. I couldn't find a DMT release history and that's quite poor from Claris: they force you to pay $99 for a software you don't even know it will work with your files.

My question is: does Claris expect me to buy a new FDS every time it releases a new software version? or should I assume that DMT will work with any fmp12 file? And is this explained somewhere?

3 hours ago, bcooney said:

No, it’s not broken. It requires membership. 

I don't see it this way, I'm logged in to https://community.claris.com/en/s/ I see a message saying "Welcome back", I can read articles but when I try to access the link you sent I cannot, I get a message like saying page can't be found. Maybe is a different membership that I need?

However I've found this article https://community.claris.com/en/s/article/New-FileMaker-data-migration-tool which has exactly the same content of your first link, here including a discussion thread.

If there is an article with additional and valuable information about DMT I'd appreciate you send me the link.

Thank you in advance.

20 minutes ago, naio said:

Maybe is a different membership that I need

My account over there is type "partner" and I can open the page (with download links). AFAIK the developer subscription is included in our partner membership.

Ok, I guess they were too busy to let me know that my membership doesn't allow access to that page.

I'm just very curious about the content of that article, do they describe each of the DMT versions released? do they state the compatibility with each file version?

If you can enlighten me I would be grateful...

1 hour ago, MaxB said:

There is just a version history with nothing but the version number and the corresponding FileMaker version (latest is 19.3.1), license info and a link to this guide:

https://help.claris.com/en/data-migration-tool-guide/content/index.html

Thanks for letting me know.

DMT Must be one of the most opaque applications I've ever used. I'm using FM 19.3.2.206 and I wonder if DMT 19.3.1 is compatible with files created with that FM version? anyone knows where can I find this info?

13 hours ago, bcooney said:

Well, we don’t use it directly.  Instead we use the tool that wraps it and adds much more. https://www.geistinteractive.com/products/otto-automated-filemaker-datamigration-developer-operations/

Thank you, it looks very interesting but a bit overkill for my needs.

The FileMaker Developer Subscription is a set of tools, access to prerelease software, and a test-only version of FileMaker Server ( can't be used for a production server ). It's $99USD/year. It's not buying a "new FDS" with every version.

If the DMT alone doesn't have $99 worth of ROI, then you likely don't need the DMT. Just speaking from reading the conversation, and a cursory evaluation of the info you provided. That is obviously an evaluation only you can make for sure. Is the value higher than the cost?

I think the version 17 DMT might work... but it's a dangerous maneuver. I wouldn't even attempt it. You may not see the problems it causes for a while, and by then, the damage may be irreparable. 

On 8/4/2021 at 4:47 AM, naio said:

I understand that an independent developer gets a lot in the FileMaker Developer Subscription (that' where DMT is included) but in my business I develop my own solutions, so I already pay for 1 FMS license and 3 FM licenses, IMHO that should include the DMT. The subscription license is an additional 10% to the cost of the whole license package and all I get from it is DMT.

Anyway, I already paid once for the subscription, but I wonder if an old DMT works well with the current FM version. I couldn't find a DMT release history and that's quite poor from Claris: they force you to pay $99 for a software you don't even know it will work with your files.

My question is: does Claris expect me to buy a new FDS every time it releases a new software version? or should I assume that DMT will work with any fmp12 file? And is this explained somewhere?

This topic is 991 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.