Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trouble with simple conditional value list.

This topic is 996 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Forum, another brain fog, despite doing this before, and looking at my files & sample files.  I have these relationships:

image.png.d20e90080c21c37d543941a5d09ee578.png

On the JOBS layout I have a portal of GALLONS.  One of the GALLONS fields is Vehicle_Name.  I want to attach a drop down list, conditional value list to aid in data entry (for IOS).

So a CUSTOMER, can have many JOBS.  And any JOBS record can have multiple GALLONS records (in the portal).

What I want the drop down list to only show, are all the existing GALLONS::Vehicle_Name values, from the same CUSTOMER, regardless of JOBS. 

IOW, 

CUSTOMERS 

Bob has 5 JOBS records

Debbie has 3 JOBS records

Mike has 4 JOBS records.

When I create a new JOBS record for Bob, On the Jobs layout, on the GALLONS::Vehicle_Name field in the portal, I would like the drop down to only show the previous GALLONS::Vehicle_Name values that are only related to JOBS records from Bob.

I've tried so many combinations of how to create the relationship to do this, that I'm probably just spinning my wheels.

Thanks for any guidance.

Steve

Ugh...Thanks @comment !  Should've asked you hours ago...lol.  For some reason I couldn't get out of my own head and was trying to  do Jobs to a second occurrence of Gallons, or Gallons to a second occurrence of Gallons.

Thanks again.

12 minutes ago, Steve Martino said:

was trying to  do Jobs to a second occurrence of Gallons, or Gallons to a second occurrence of Gallons.

Gallons to a second occurrence of Gallons would have worked - IF Gallons had the ID of its grandparent customer. Without it, you need to connect Jobs to its siblings to enable Gallons access to its cousins.

I was trying that, but the ID field I added to gallons wouldn't populate when I would create the first Gallon record.  But it would on the rest of the created records. I'm sure it was something I was/wasn't doing. I spent too much time on trying to figure that out.

Thanks again for your quick response.

This topic is 996 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.