Database Application

mroman

This topic is 7921 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We are creating a software that is a kind of a Encyclopedia where the end user can make any search of information. For this, we need a database where I can browse the information that I need, On this Database there are not going to be any update once the software is pack, so is going to be read only and is local is not client server application. What I need is that when the users install the software in the computer, they can have the access to the database without no need of the entire program of the database would not be installed. I need only a runtime from this Database, I will use Java as an interface. Those File Maker could help me with that?

Hi

Yes, you can certainly do this with FM. In order to make runtimes, you will need Developer, but go to http://filemaker.com/support/index.html and inform yourself because there are limitation to runtimes.

If it is going to be an "encyclopedia" then you will probably want to parse the data out in separate files because that sounds like it could be quite large - just a suggestion for when you start

Ken

It would be possible to set up a java interface to an FMP database while it is running in FMP, but not to a runtime (they operate as single user and stand-alone).

However, you should not need to do this, since FileMaker Pro Developer will enable you to provide your users (royalty free) with an interface which will accompany your solution in runtime mode. Users will be able to access the data via the interface - but they won't be able to make changes to the database (or to the data, unless you give them the privileges to do so).

This topic is 7921 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.