Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"This version cannot run with expired maintenance."

eljefejb

This topic is 757 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I recently tried upgrading to FM 19.3 and was greeted with the message, "This version cannot run with expired maintenance."  Claris Support helped me resolve this, as we had just renewed earlier this year.  However, I was just wondering if this message means that FM is essentially becoming "rental software" that you can't run indefinitely unless you keep paying.  That would make the long-term cost quite expensive!  :sad2:

Hmm... I don't know. Our accounting department did the renewal, so I don't know what options are available. I don't see anything about different license types on the Claris website, unless I'm just not finding the right page.  I have an email address for someone in their sales group. I'll have to ask.  Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

@eljefejb, could you share what the solution was? I'm having the same problem. I have a current maintenance license that's good through 2023. But I'm getting the "expired maintenance" error after upgrading to 19.3 on Windows 10.

Thank you!

@dtsvirinko I contacted the sales rep, who had the support team generate a new license certificate.  The error went away after that.  Now we have to figure out if we can/want to pay the extra thousands of dollars per year, or if we just won't run the latest version in order to avoid the SaaS model.  :(

Please archive all the certificates you get.

There is always the risk a newer certificate won't work with a older software version as the format changes. Or the root certificate used to generate the license certificate is expired. Or newer software can't read the old certificate, which should still be valid.

But usually you can go to the license page on claris website (see your license email) and download a freshly generated certificate file for your license.

• 1 month later...

So I got the same 'expired maintenance" when I tried opening a migrated FileMaker Pro 19 on my MacBook Pro M1Max. It opens fine on my iMac running macOS 11.6.1 and on my Macmini M1 running 12.0.1.

I downloaded fresh copies of my license key and the software, deleted the old software, and installed the fresh copy. Same error.

Deleted all the FileMaker files in ~/Library/Application Support, in ~/Library/Preferences. And in /Library. And I deleted the recently installed copy of FileMaker.

Restarted.

Reinstalled FMP from the dmg. Open FMP and the same error. It never gives me a chance to use the certificate file.

Any suggestions?

On 11/12/2021 at 3:50 PM, Dave Vaklyes said:

So I got the same 'expired maintenance" when I tried opening a migrated FileMaker Pro 19 on my MacBook Pro M1Max. It opens fine on my iMac running macOS 11.6.1 and on my Macmini M1 running 12.0.1.

I downloaded fresh copies of my license key and the software, deleted the old software, and installed the fresh copy. Same error.

Deleted all the FileMaker files in ~/Library/Application Support, in ~/Library/Preferences. And in /Library. And I deleted the recently installed copy of FileMaker.

Restarted.

Reinstalled FMP from the dmg. Open FMP and the same error. It never gives me a chance to use the certificate file.

Any suggestions?

Thought I should add that both my maintenance licenses are current. 

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue. Windows 10, new downloaded FMP, fresh download of the install certificate. Happening to at least two different users for a client of mine. They just upgraded to 19. Many of the users are still remote and using WebD, so I don't know if they have all had a chance to try FMP yet. The two that I KNOW have tried to log in with FMP have this issue.

On the Mac the license file was in /Users/Shared/FileMaker as LicenseCert.fmcert. Deteleted that and FileMaker will ask for the license certificate.

Don't know where this hides on Windows.

Christian of Monkey Bread Software gave me the hint after Claris Tech support gave me the hint but I missed it. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I have deleted files in those locations on Mac and Windows and the issue still exists. I have alerted customer service who gave me new certificates last week, one for the concurrencies on the server and one for the user licenses on the desktops. The one they gave me for the concurrencies fixed an incorrect number of licenses issue on the server, while the one they reset for the Users that they instructed me to install on the desktops still give's me everyone's favorite error message.  ::-(

• 2 weeks later...

We have just encountered this same error on one of our Windows machines. Was there an official fix for this? I will reach out to our sales rep but am hoping someone here actually got to the root of the problem.

5 minutes ago, stanley said:

We have just encountered this same error on one of our Windows machines. Was there an official fix for this? I will reach out to our sales rep but am hoping someone here actually got to the root of the problem.

Claris had to generate a new license key for me. Then, they had to do it again, because it was done wrong the first time and hadn't fixed that problem. Their first clue was that they had the wrong license quantities when you logged in for the downloads. 

Such a strange problem, because this is FMP and so shouldn't run into that kind of issue, especially as ours are volume licenses and are otherwise working fine. At the same time, it's an FMP software update that kicked off this problem, and this kind of thing does happen. We'll reach out to Claris and get new license certificates...

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

SOLUTION:  

If you have a previous version installed, but with the certificate expired, the solution is this. Go to: Users / Shared / FileMaker / FileMaker Pro / 19.0

Delete the 19.0 folder, then install the updated version of your FM. When you run the app, it will ask you to enter the serial number. 😉

This topic is 757 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.