opening files on an FTP server

This topic is 7945 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've set up a FMP database where each record corresponds to a different Microsoft Word file, and I'm trying to set it up so that one could open the Word file, corresponding to the active record, with a FMP button. But, it may be easiest for the users of the DB to store these Word files on their FTP server. So I was trying to find a way, using Applescript, to open files on an FTP server. I can use the "Open location" command to open the FTP directory, but when I use it to open a specific file, I get garbage. Is there anyone out there familiar enough with Applescript and FTP to help me out? (For the record, I've just been introduced to FTP, so I apologize if this turns out to be a stupid question.) Thanks!

What I would try is to have the record for the Word file store the path to it on the server.

Then get a FTP client that has good AppleScript support (look around on versiontracker, try a few), then combine the sever with the path and tell the FTP program to get that file.

Depending on what your using the Word file for, you might want to do the reverse if the users are changing the files and need to upload them.

You will first need to download the files and then open them. You can use the URL Access Scripting addition. Your script should be something like

tell app "URL Access Scripting"

download theFullFTPString to DestinationFileString replacing yes with progress

quit

end tell

Tell app "Microsoft Word"

activate

open file DestinationFileString

end tell

This topic is 7945 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.