A Value list that doesn't include the current record

This topic is 781 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I searched for this in the forums but didn't find anything. I am running windows 10, filemaker 19 off Server 19. My question is about a value list. I have a project table and I have a task table. It's a one to many relationship (1 project, many tasks). Each task has line items for parts and labor.

A lot of the tasks are similar or even identical. Rather than have the user enter the same line items over and over again, I would like them to have the option of "importing" the line items from another task. So I want to use a value list to display all the other tasks under the same project. I created a self join based on the project ID and made a value list.

Normally I would have them choose from the value list before the task is created, but for "business" reasons I don't understand, tasks are created days prior to knowing what the line items will be. So now if they go into the task to choose which one to get line items from, the value list shows ALL tasks for that project INCLUDING the one they are wishing to populat. So I want to know if I can create a value list that has all the OTHER tasks under the same project and omit the task they are currently in. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I am not mistaken, your question is about the relationship, not about the value list based upon it. To create a self-join that includes all the OTHER siblings of the same parent, define the relationship as:

Tasks::ProjectID = Tasks 2::ProjectID
AND
Tasks::TaskID ≠ Tasks 2::TaskID

Doh!

Thank you, I completely forgot about the not equal in a relationship. I figured it was something simple I overlooked. I appreciate the quick response, works like a charm

This topic is 781 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.