Webdirect checkbox field with conditional value list overwriting

This topic is 750 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I have developed a simple database as a survey to collect information about our staff's research areas.  This was intended for use in WebDirect so everyone can go to the link, fill in the form and I can then do other things with the data once collected. There are a range of standardised Fields Of Research (FOR codes) which I want them to select. They are grouped this way: Division / Group / FOR code eg DIVISION: 31 Biological sciences / GROUP: 3103 Ecology / FOR codes: multiple to choose from that relate to this group and Division

I set up conditional lists so the user can select a division, a related group and then related FOR codes. This work perfectly.  I have displayed the FOR code field as both a checkbox (for selection by the user) and as a text box for confirmation of all the FOR codes chosen.  In native mode, when the user changes Division and/or Group and selects  FOR codes, those FOR codes selected with the checkbox are added to the field and displayed in the text box version, creating a cumulative list of FOR codes, which is perfect. 

The problem arises when I use this database (as either a user or an administrator) in WebDirect. When a number of FOR are chosen, then the DIvision and/or Group are changed and more FOR codes chosen, these overwrite the previous set chosen.  I can't think of a way around this. We have hundreds of people we want to survey, who won't have FM software, so I though webdirect would be ideal. :(

The webdirect link is https://fms7018.triple8.net/fmi/webd/AIBN Research areas, signin AIBN (no password as this is just a test with no real data)  The file is also attached here so you can see the difference in behaviour.  Developed in FM 18 Advanced.

Appreciate any advice on a different way to format this to get the same result. 

AIBN Research areas.fmp12

I suspect the problem is caused by the way the checkbox is transformed to its HTML representation and back. I have no access to WD and cannot verify this - but if my suspicion is correct, you will have to find a different mechanism for making the multiple choices.

Consider for example showing a portal with the related values, and using a script to add/remove the clicked value to/from the field.

It's difficult to find the issue without seeing your DB logic.

However I have found subtle differences between WebDirect and FileMaker Pro - I've had to use a screen refresh or 0.01 second pause in WebDirect to get things to work correctly.

I would also recommend using the latest version of FileMaker Server as WebDirect has matured over the last couple of years and several niggles have disappeared.

This topic is 750 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.