"Unrecoverable error (10)"

This topic is 7882 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am planning to buy FileMaker Server, but I runned a trial version and crashed at least twice a day. (error message: unrecoverable error (10)) I was told that this is a memory issue, and if I installed Mac Os X this wouldn't happen. (I am quite reluctant to install OS X, but I can't afford crashing, not even once a day) My question therefore is if I should install Mac Os X and go for the OS X FileMaker Server version (the computer that would host the databases is a G3, and the machines that would access the FM server are most of them G4, with Mac Os 9.2), or otherwise the problem above could easily be solved and continue with OS 9.

Thanks

IMHO -- server is sometimes tricky on Mac OS. I believe there are valuable tips from forum hosts about Mac OS.

Mac X will give you robustness (no more memory management problems), but it is more difficult to tame, it is Unix.

And there are Linux and NT also ideal platforms for FM server smile.gif

We have over 10 server years of experience running FM Server on OS 9. THE NUMBER ONE way to totally destabilize FM Server is to have file sharing turned on, on the machine running Server. If this guess is correct, turning it off should solve your problem.

Tell us a little more about: 1) what machine you are running the demo on, 2) what OS are your running, 3) are you running any other applications.

Properly setup, we have had ZERO stability problems running FM Server under OS 9 (mostly 9.0.4), but there are some tricks. The machines often go untouched for three months at a time.

-bd

I checked in the control panel and File Sharing and was already turned off. Thank you for the suggestion anyway. In regards to the machine:

1) Its a G3 350 (448 MB built-in memory), but I have runned FileMaker Server in a G4 and get the same error.

2) OS version is 9.2

3) I am using this computer only for FileMaker Server (no other applications running)

Additional info:

4) I get this error message allways about 4 hours after opening the application. (I open the databases at 10.00 AM and FMS quits at 2.00 PM. Then I open them again and it crashes at 6.00 PM) May be it's just that I am using the trial version???

5) Preferences: amount of RAM for cache: 40 MB. (I tried both checking the box of flushing cache, and without checking it)

Remote administration: disabled

Networking: TCP/IP only

Max size of event log: 1MB

Thanks

This topic is 7882 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.