Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Want to use UUID to link, but don't want to show them in tables....

Spidey

I want to use UUID for all my tables and also for linking them together, but I don't want to show the long id.  Yet I need them to pull up information from another table.  How I can solve this dilemma?

Thanks.

KC

Production.fmp12

Thanks so much for your reply.  It is the <refined material> in the line item which is related to the refined material table.   I need to link the UUID of both the line item table and the UUID in the refined material table, and together I can only put the refined material name on the line item from the refined material table. 

I could use the popup menu for the UUID drop list for the refined material, but I like to know how anyone would approach this problem.

I still don't understand what is the "dilemma" here.

If you want to select an item without seeing the UUID, you can use a value list showing only the 2nd field (this requires the 2nd field values to be unique, too). If you don't want to see the UUID after the selection, you can use a pop-up menu or place the drop-down behind another field - as discussed in your previous question.

Alternatively, you could use other methods of selection, e.g. from a list in a card window, or from a portal in a popover.