Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Shareware/Freeware DHCP Server?

BobWeaver

This topic is 8049 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have a router, but it has no DHCP capabilities!

Does anyone know of a Shareware or freeware DHCP server that will run on a Mac (OS9 preferably), and serve a small local network? We don't need routing capabilities. We just want a simple program that can dynamically assign IP addresses and preset DNS server and router IPs.

I did a search at dowloads.com and found a few products, but they were all "free to try". The products were between $89 and $149, somewhat more expensive than the Linksys rounters selling for about $60 at Best Buy, averaging about $40 on eBay.

I have a customer who might want to get rid of a netgear router (only thrown through a window once) for cheap. Let me know. wink.gif

-bd

Yes, we recently purchased a Linksys Router 8 port switch at about $100. Nice product w/24 hr tech support (if needed).

On a side note...

Some of our agent offices here is SD have SBC DSL. Since DSL is run on PPPoE, I heard that Pac Bell has been known to knock our your settings if they see that you are running a router off 1 IP (instead of buying more IPs so they can make money). With Cox I have no problem.

Unfortunately, if we use a hardware solution such as a LinkSys or NetGear router, it will try to assign itself as the gateway which in our situation is not the case. However, I will have a look at Download.com and see what they have. $149 seems reasonable. Thanx.

This topic is 8049 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.