Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Web Resources

This topic is 8098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

"...that will allow me to master fielmaker and the web."

There are no shortcuts.

It will take time to master.

The internet forums are a great resource. Go read a lot. Become familiar with what is there. Your questions have probably been answered already. In fact, there are a few threads which you should read just because they provide answers to questions which you haven't even thought about, and knowing about them will save you time in the long run. And the sales-pitch from FMI is misleading. Becoming a master takes time and research.

Some of the time constraints depend upon what you already know. Are you an experienced FMPro developer? Do you write html? Do you have and have you read the cdml reference? Are you willing to write code just as an experiment?

Each of these presents learning curves. Each learning curve requires time. If you are not willing to put in the time, you should consider something else.

When you get it all figured out you will have power over the web and FMP. I'm still learning (thank goodness), and I know a heckalot.

SIMPLIFY ...

Keith

I have a very good understanding of developing filemaker pro as a database available on a network and I have developed a relational database that over 60 users can log on at any one time. This system has many complicated scripts and field definitions BUT I don't even know where to start.

I have read about filemaker web companion that is a plug in for filemaker. Is this an extra piece of software that I can use to create a web page or would I link filemaker via my web design software(frontpage etc)? This will probably sound very basic and I probably sound like I havent got a clue but I feel that FM Help that you can access within filemaker is exceptional vague and doesnt answer any real questions about designing a web page.

If someone could just say start hear I am sure that I will be able with the forums help to overcome the majority of the answers I require. Unfortunately I need that initial point in the right direction.

"This system has many complicated scripts and field definitions BUT I don't even know where to start."

Go to the cdml forum. Go back a year. Look for threads about scripts. Read them over the next few days. There is even a thread (4 related threads) which I have provided with code for you to create a db and pages to see the problem.

I am supposed to get a hook-up tomorrow. Then I will do a final troubleshoot and I am hopeful that on Monday I will be able to provide a link to my site which will allow you to try to get my script workaround to collide. But you will find that you get the prober information returned with my workaround. But if you don't know what the problem is you will have difficulty seeing that the solution which I provide will allow you to write your scripts successfully for use on the web.

Currently I am making my forum contributions from the local library.

[ February 06, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Keith M. Davie ]

This topic is 8098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.