New FMer

This topic is 8493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi!

I have been put in charge of building a web site for a university that has a database that a select few admin people can go into to update alumni info. It will be hosted on a Solaris box.

The db won't be too complex. Can FM live on a Solaris machine? Which FM software would be best to purchase for establishing a connection to it? Any security issues to worry about with FM?

Thank you in advance,

Christina

FMP5 is runs on MacOS 8.6 or later, MacOS X Server 1.0.2 or later, Windows 95 or later, Windows NT 4SP3 or later.

Nothing for Solaris I'm afraid. Only Macintosh or Wintel.

• Newbies

Thanks for your reply. Our clients really want their site on a Unix box. Is it possible to put just the database on a NT machine and have it connected to the site on the Unix?

Would it be difficult to do and to update records on a dbase that's housed elsewhere?

Sorry for such basic questions. But until now I've only had to worry about making pages look pretty. This is entirely new to me.

Christina

quote:

Originally posted by candrews:

Thanks for your reply. Our clients really want their site on a Unix box. Is it possible to put just the database on a NT machine and have it connected to the site on the Unix?

Would it be difficult to do and to update records on a dbase that's housed elsewhere?

Where you host your web pages is immaterial to FMP. You will basically need 3 machines to make this all work. The WinNT FMP Server machine, the Win<whatever> FMP Unlimited machine, and the <whatever> Web Server machine.

The WinNT FMP Server is the actual database server which servers the databases to your network. The Win<NT, 95/98, ME, 2000> FMP Unlimited machine is the machine that opens the databases off the server and makes them available via the WebCompanion plugin to your web server. The <WinOS, MacOS, Unix> Web Server has the actual web pages that your web users are accessing and makes all the calls to the FMP Unlimited machine.

There are also ways to use ODBC/JDBC to talk to the FMP Unlimited machine as well.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

You will basically need 3 machines to make this all work. The WinNT FMP Server machine, the Win<whatever> FMP Unlimited machine, and the <whatever> Web Server machine.

Not really, one Unlimited will do, standalone on ports 80 or 591 and different IP, or from the same IP like Unix box through interfacing like WebConnector.

Server is for multiple Unlimited for greater transaction processing (RAIC).

quote:

Originally posted by Anatoli:

Server is for multiple Unlimited for greater transaction processing (RAIC).

Not really. Server has more functionality than simply powering a RAIC. Server has a greater level of stability and security, as well as performance than using FMP Unlimied alone.

I also assume that internal LAN users will want to be accessing the FMP databases as well.

Not to mention the fact that I NEVER recommend anyone to use FMP Unlimited alone. I never recommend that anyone makes thier databases directly accessible to the web.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

This topic is 8493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.