Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Export to From FMP to XML

Ocean West

This topic is 7665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I Have an image database with many photos I would like to via FMP export a found set to XML and have a web browser open up with 4up images so i can view them. Then hit a next button to see the next four. The reason we wish to do this is that speed is becoming an issue we need to be able to flip thru a few hundred images in a few seconds to get an broad sence of the contents of pictures. Viewing images via FMP is slow to render.

If I understand XML it only needs to create one html document? then the XSL say will display 4 images at a time.? Then the user could sort the images based upon the xml /xsl?

I created another method creating html pages but this creates hundreds of pages. That can become out of date and unmanageable.

Any ideas?

somehow you will have to tell the browser to select the right images/ go to next found set. That means you will have to use javascript or a (server-side) perl script to do the selection.

A sample of a client-side image databse can be found here:

http://www.pitt.edu/~ciddeweb/INSTRUCTIONAL-COMPUTING/JS-SAMPLES/database.html

(grab the source and corresponding javascript file http://www.pitt.edu/~ciddeweb/INSTRUCTIONAL-COMPUTING/JS-SAMPLES/records.js).

This could be done with XSL faster that with FileMaker text cals, but both methods work equally well....

Since this is for intranet and users have volume with images mounted how would I direct them to access the images from this volume.

I copied the source but the browser may have changed the tags and it isn't resulting in the same effect.

Thanks SD

didn't know you are referring to images not accessible via web server. But if you put the HTML file on your image server, javascript could use relative links ....

try a search for "javascript image gallery" on google.

You will have to adjust the code to simultaniously display 4 images using the mod 4 function, but hat should not be a problem....

btw, this has nothing to do with xml or javascript. You would have the same prob with static html.

If all of your users are using IE 6 win, you could in fact use XML and data islands in Active X to show your images , sort them etc, even without much of javascript .....

but the path problem will persist.

This is a typical application for php/mysql or perl image gallery scripts ..... - or even cumulus.

In Filemaker (Client) I would solve this by including thumbnails stored in FM db, while the main image is linked. For FM web access as well as html or php, i would go for a separate thubnails folder containing all the thumbs (most image gallery scripts do this automatically via image magick).

Things seem to be working I have modified the script similiar to yours. The elements that I have issue with is figuring out how to do 4 up. And display caption. The file paths to my server work fine it is just left to dispaly and navigation.

My next task from this is when I click on an image have it popup a new window with the High Res version. (I might add the script that allows you to zoom on this one)

This topic is 7665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.