Server Maintenance This Week. ×

New UPC font with FileMaker calculations

This topic is 7660 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I finally got around to developing my own UPC font... yay!

Now it's time to recoup my costs!

I'd like to offer it free to all forum users, as long as you're not using it commercially (rather just to try it out). Just let me know and I'll email you a copy. This font not only works like a UPC, it looks like one to.

It's currently a TrueType font, so it works in Mac OS X and Windows. If there is interest for an OS 9 version I think I could make one pretty easily. There is a small problem with the on-screen display (it looks like crap), but it prints quite well... I'm working on it!

The package comes with the font plus a filemaker database containing a number of sample calculations to generate the check figure and the characters necessary to display the bar code. I also include instructions for assigning store-level UPC codes and "random-weight" UPC codes (which are also store-level).

I've made the key mapping quite intuitive in case you want to build it into non-FileMaker solutions. It's so simple that with a few basic instructions you could make your own UPC using the keyboard without any reference materials telling you which keys to use.

Please email me at [email protected] if you'd like a free copy, or just leave your comments here on the thread.

UPC stands for "Universal Product Code"

Nearly every commercial product has one.

You'd want to be able to make your own if you were a retail company (or developed databases for a retail company) that sold some products which are either unmarked or weighted (such as meats).

You might also want one if you were a manufacturer that has reserved a block of UPC codes so that you could print them on your packaging

In a UPC, the first digit or "number system" tells you what type of UPC it is:

0, 6 & 7 are regular UPC codes... you have to reserve a block to use them

2 are for random-weight items. Next 5 digits assigned by the store, following 5 digits are the price in cents, and the last digit is a check figure.

3 are for health-related items

4 for in-store marking... no other store will recognize your custom UPCs

and 5 is for use on coupons

the remaining number systems (1, 8 & 9) are currently unassigned.

Want more information? Let me know! I love this stuff!

Thanks Jason for your neat explanation. I don't have a need to know further as I have so much other (more basic) stuff to learn first. However, I have put you in my Little Black Book of useful contacts. When I am ready for broadening my knowledge base I will take up your offer of more information. However, for now, it's great to have an overview knowledge of UPC fonts - Thanks!

PS: Nice Car

Pete

Thanks to all those who requested a copy. I've fixed the on screen display issue and a problem with the check digit calculation, and I believe I sent a revised version to each of you (let me know if not).

I've also fully tested the font now, and found it to scan instantly at many sizes.

By the way, I also have a Code39 bar code font I developed a few weeks ago. There's more information at StoreOS.com. As always, email me if you'd like a free copy to try.

This topic is 7660 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.