Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value List - Double Valu _single entry

This topic is 7641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello People!

I need a little help with a value list...and I am sure this was asked before I just didn't know how to format the question. So please forgive me if this is double post.

here is what I managed to get to work in the list:

-----------

1 James

2 Smith

3 Rollings

------------

etc... where user can "see" both values drop and only numbers are entered in the field as an actual value.

Now, the headacke part came about when I tried to generate another (Measurements) list as shown:

0.0625 ___1/16

0.125 ____1/8

0.25 _____1/4

0.5 ______1/2

1 ________1

I would like users to see the ratios but enter decimals since it (the eneterd numbers) will be used in further calcualtions!

Any thoughts would be apprechiated!

Again, thank you!

Hi Leb,

I just tried it and it works, just the same as the valuelist in your first post in this thread.

Did you try it yourself? What problem did you run into?

Regards,

Ernst.

Hey Ernest!

Thanx for the respond....I whish I could say what the problem is. The enrty simply is a questionmaker "?" instead of a decimal number. And yes, the first list (Number (space) Characters) worked but not the one where I attempt to use "decimal __ rational" format. frown.gif

so to re-cap this DOES work and is acceptable ???

0.0625 Sixtenth

0.125 Eight

0.25 Quarter

0.5 Half

1 Whole

but this would be better:

------------------------------

0.0625 _________1/16

0.125 __________1/8

0.25 ___________1/4

0.5 ____________1/2

1 ______________1

------------------------------

any thoughts?

is this the only format that the list will work or can one mix (decimal.number (space---characters) fraction/number)?

thanx

Hi Leb(?)

When I first tried it, I had two text field. That worked OK.

I changed the first text field to number field, still worked.

See attached folder with two files for details. Start the file 'calls' first.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ernst.

ConditionalValueList.zip

Thank you Ernest!

It works smile.gif. The difference between your and mine approcah was that you used 2 fileds while my "attemept" was to use the list directly by making it a custom list and typeing the info in it.

I am still trying to digest the FM concept of creating another and another and antother field in order to accomplish something...that "looks" simple.I am a bit mad at FM that I have to create an additional file just to accomodate this ???|< <--- yes, this is my mad face smile.gif

Anywhow, thank you very much!

Actually, no need for a second file here if what you want are these fixed fractions.

2 fields.

- Field 1 ---> textfractions (text)

- A custom value list with

1/16

1/8

1/4

1/2

- Field 2 ---> numfrections(numcalc) = Case(textfractions="1/16", 0.0625, textfractions="1/8", 0.125,textfractions="1/4", 0.25,textfractions="1/2", 0.5,textfractions="1", 1)

Now you can use a workaround as for hiding the numfrections behind the textfractions field...

Hey Ugo!

Thanx for the tip....the only problem here is I don't know how to "lock" the 1st record so it does NOT get deleted.If I populate those fields with a set values I would like to make sure they don't get deleted 2 months from now smile.gif. User will have a full access to the file...If I used your technique ..I guess a new post here: "How to protect an X set of records from being deletes (no password)?"

thanx_

This topic is 7641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.