Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Menu items with filemaker

This topic is 7624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I wanto make menu items in Filemaker. They don't have to be part of the real menu bar, they just have to function like a menu bar. I basically just want a pop up menu that whatever you choose fires a script. What is the best way to do this?

-EMC

Hi,

Either a portal with a script Go to related record and a script based upon the value of the related field

or

simply a script button next to a value list checking the content of the field after the value has been selected (or an exit script trick).

With some more setting, you may even end with a "tree-like" menu triggrering script and sub-script.

Hello EMC,

WOULDN'T WE ALL!

This has to be, if not the most requested feature, then it is certainly within the top 2 or 3.

Since it is not native in FM to do this, you have to settle for a workaround or plugin.

There are some example files on how to do the workarounds at

Script Execution on Exiting Field by: Al Fleming at: http://www.fmfiles.com/tnt8.html

More Field Exit by: James E. Mastrianni at: http://www.databasepros.com

HTH

Lee

wink.gif

Hi Ugo,

I spend most of my time studying the simplicity, lateral-thinking, finesse and concepts of the Master. Ray's site has over 45 of the best demos available. smile.gif

Glad to know you're watching for me, though ... makes me feel missed cool.gif

LaRetta

Job? What's that? Nobody works in Southern California!

We're all too busy smokin dope, surfing, or enjoying the sunny weather!

Just ask Brent! cool.gifcool.gif

And once the NFL season starts, I stop!

Ken

BTW, my trip to Europe was excellent, thanks for asking. Rome was my favorite stop. I must go back ASAP. Didn't make Paris, we didn't wanna hang out with you Frenchies anyway, hahah. (Just kidding)

Ken

Haha,

I have only met a few europeans that actually care about NFL! And even fewer that know of Josh Norman! Very impressive ugo.

As far as I know, he is staying. Last I checked he's still on the roster. But I like the other Oklahoma TE, Stephen Alexander who had a great career with the Wash Redskins. Maybe they should run more 2 TE sets!

The NFL EL World Bowl is this weekend! I never miss it. Go Frankfurt!

Gee, we need a sports forum here. I think I will suggest it cool.gif. Then we can talk about that over-rated David Beckham, too!

Ken

Evan,

Sample Code ?

May be a link

Now there's a little less funky one in my last OSX Portals sampler.

Note that the Portal is not that usable in an overcrowded layout as you need some space vs a value list and a loop script as those suggested by Lee and LaRetta.

Ken,

I don't miss the Sunday Summary about NFL and I even got a cable tv that has some US Universities Football plays covered up.

Besides, I've got some good friends in Southern California and we hardly met him in Tijuana (is it the place for a Football Player ?)

Haha, I knew that would boil up an englishman from somewhere! Americans care about football (soccer) as much as europeans care about american football. But I love rugby - I was in Scotland for the Melrose 7s this April. Lots of fun.

Speaking of Beckham - I read in the news that he was doing some shopping in Beverly Hills with his spice girlfriend. They went into a shoe shop, and Beckham wanted them to close the store to the public while he was in there shopping. The owner refused, and Beckham said something like "Don't you know who I am? I think that since I am so popular, you should give me special consideration." And the store owner said "You might be famous over in europe, but this is America, and I don't know who you are. The store stays open." hahaha

I thought that was funny.

Sorry, I'll stop talking about sports and try to help some FMers.

Ken

This topic is 7624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.