Sign in to follow this  
Krishan

Help: Set up password database access via TCP/IP

Hello

I have made my database accessible via TCP/IP using Sharing "multi-user".

And I have defined a password for the database. So I can now access my database on a different computer (using FMPro Client) and my file requires a password.

BUT in the event of my server crashing I have automated my server to restart and my FMPro database to re-open. I have entered the default password under Preferences > Document, i.e. selecting "When opening database try default password ******"

However, this allows my database to open automatically over TCP/IP too without the need of a password!

So how do I keep my database password protected over TCP/IP and still allow it to open automatically after a crash??

Look forward to your ideas. Thanks in advance!

krishan confused.gif

I found this answer on the Web:

Create a database (single user) that has the same password defined and set as default password. Make a startup script in this database that opens the other databases. Since the password matches, no dialog is presented.

The network users still has to enter the password since they can't access the opening file.

You are doing something strange. Server is always opening all FM databases regardless of passwords.

Sorry, when I said "server" I didn't mean FM Server.

I was testing out the FM Pro 5 Client hosting the databases and using another FM Pro 5 Client to access them from another computer.

smile.gif krishan