Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Show desktop in Kiosk mode?

alcam

This topic is 7087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On a Mac, is there any way of getting back to the desktop while in Kiosk mode without quitting the app. I know it's possible in Windows, but is it on a Mac?

It's not easy to do in Windows. On Win 98, you can get to the task bar even if it's hidden, and then click on the desktop icon. However, on Win XP no way could I make the task bar display visible. Even if it is not hidden, the kiosk prevents it from being seen. I solved the problem by using WinBatch to create a small .exe, which causes the kiosk to minimize itself to the task bar and displays the desktop. This works well on all versions, and I've eliminated the need for the user to even look for the desktop icon.

Steve

hi Steve,

Just want to ask can WinBatch change the screen resolution from 1024x768 to 800 x 600. Because normally i like to design my app in kiosk mode and run it on full screen. If winbatch can do it, is that u have any example of file because i not familiar with WinBatch.

(snip) However, on Win XP no way could I make the task bar display visible. Even if it is not hidden, the kiosk prevents it from being seen

Steve

Steve, Can't you just have the user press the Windows Start button? Works for me on XP in kiosk mode. (Of course that would require the end user to think of that, which may or may not happen.) Or maybe I am not understanding the problem.

Hi Roger: You're understanding the problem. I tried to display the Task Bar on two Win XP machines, but it was not visible on either one. Neither machine had the Task Bar set to auto hide. I'd also bet that 90% of the user community would'nt know or remember how to display the desktop. Besides, now my kiosk seems more like a standard Win app.

Steve

The Developer model, which is really just a compiler and allows me to freely distribute unlimited EXEs. Without the compiler, each user would need his own copy, and I personally don't like distributing source code. It's a great fill in for what Filemaker doesn't do.

• 2 months later...

I found this thread in my search. This is what I want to be able to do: make kiosk mode look like a Windows app and not "take over " the desktop. I really like the kiosk style, with out any of the status or toolbars and no FMP menus to deal with. I like being able to control the app with buttons and scripts.

But, I'm not following how to do this. Also, using the WinBatch solution, can you actually size the kiosk screen so that it does not take the whole screen, but allows the desktop to appear behind it, as a Window does?

Thanks.

I've tried everything I can think of to change the size of the kiosk, but nothing works. FM apparently ignores every WinBatch command that tries to resize a window. However, my little WB utility does minimize a kiosk to the Task Bar, exactly the way a Windows pgm should.

Steve

Well, Steve, that's what I thought... Back to the drawing board. As Anatoli reminded me a "kiosk is a kiosk". I really prefer the kiosk look, but I don't think most users will want there desktop held captive. SecureFM will do what I want, but I was hoping to avoid the added cost of a plug-in.

• 1 year later...

I can send you the exe that will minimize the kiosk...it's slightly too big to post as an attachment, but I can email if you'd like.

Steve

I was browsing this topic to find a way to minimise a kiosk solution - this seems exactly what I need. If you still have this file (or anything similar), I'd appreciate if it could be posted here or emailed to me directly.

Thanks in advance,

JariV

This topic is 7087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.