Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Confused Web Solution

This topic is 7616 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I was told a few weeks ago to create a db solution for that was web accessible and client accessible. I went on my merry way creating a client with scripting and bells and whistles.

And then I looked at the web side of things. Using IWP, I realized that all the lovely functionality that I had made client-side was almost impossible to reproduce on the web side.

I'm looking at CDML now and wondering if it can do what I need. I'm also wondering how difficult it will be to implement since I'm pressed for time and can't afford to scrap everything.

So my current solution involves 8 layouts for the client side, another 8 layouts for the web side. Neither side sees the other side, and the buttons/scripts have been adjusted so that they mimic each other as closely as possible.

What I'm missing from the web side:

Inserting a time/date stamp into a field after hitting a button.

Refreshing Summary values in a report (which is currently tabulated by a loop). (Side question, is there a cleaner way to tabulate values?)

Inserting text into multiple fields upon hitting a button.

Sending mail upon hitting a button.

How hard is it to take the convenience of IWP and convert it into the necessary CDML?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.

Hello fngkestrel! smile.gif

-Inserting a time/date stamp into a field after hitting a button.

=this can be done even on IWP if you have a field set to auto-insert current/creation date OR aut-insert-calculation

-Refreshing Summary values in a report

=well u can just hit refresh the page on browser jsut let them now that the records are updated at a certain hours so they know when to expect the updated reports to be visible...

-which is currently tabulated by a loop

=I am not sure I understand 'tabulated by a loop'

-Inserting text into multiple fields upon hitting a button

=well....hopefully u have more than 1 field smile.gif....IWP allows this as well....did u mean into multiple files?

-Sending mail upon hitting a button.

= this is very easy on Custom WP

-How hard is it to take the convenience of IWP and convert it into the necessary CDML?

= It really isn't hard IF you know HTML and JavaScript..but that is something u have to 'measure'

the most time u will spend is:

- getting to undertand the login/security aspect of it that is tied down with the skill u have in HTML and JavaScript.

- adjusting your DB for the web (scripts don't *fly on the web)...the rest of the CDML tags are relatively easy and you don't have to worry about the layout looks in FM since HTML pages will take care of the design.

The biggest problem would be if your DB is really dependable on Scripts and u have too many reports....reports could be tricky and JavaScript is your friend when it comes to "displaying the same summary look".

Most people don't find CDML to be that secure and if you are running some CreditCard validations/collections over the web then the Lasso or PHP could be better solution.

I guess u have to answer some questions to/about yourself before anything...

what are your skills in HTML/JavaScript?

what is the time frame of this project?

what is the budget?

how important is the data that flows over this system?

anyway, I hope this gives you some perspective on what is ahead!

all the best!

"Using IWP, I realized that all the lovely functionality that I had made client-side was almost impossible to reproduce on the web side. "

"How hard is it to take the convenience of IWP...?"

Since your design is clearly not working for you in IWP, don't you mean the inconvenience of IWP? Confused Web Solution indeed. laugh.gif

On the plus side, eliminate the use of all of your ScriptMaker scripts for the CWP solution and make just one layout ("cgi" or "web" are common choices) and make sure that every field you wnt to display on the web is on that layout. And you don't even need to make the layout fancy in any way because it will only be read by the developer and computers.

You can find CWP examples on the Sample Files forum.

You don't need a lot of JavaScript ability since only a few very basic things are necessary for good CWP design. And the basic stuff of JavaScript is readily available on the web, you need to be able to edit it for your needs with a few of your specified terms.

Good luck.

• Newbies

Heh.

Okay, the IWP works for a majority of the stuff on the page, but is lacking in a few scripts.

Can I use Frontpage to preserve the layout of the webpage?

I'm abhorred to recreating the layout in HTML.

Should I recreate the layout in Frontpage or can I just copy over code into Frontpage?

What I mean by "Tabulated by a loop" is that it Shows All Records, starts at the first record, checks all the values on the record, updates counters, goes to the next record.

Is it easier to execute a find and then do a Status(CurrentFoundCount)?

But it sounds like if I start on this endeavor, the first thing to do is to remove the scripts from the web layouts and think about how to implement them as CDML.

Thanks again.

And any more advice is welcome. smile.gif

-"Is it easier to execute a find and then do a Status(CurrentFoundCount)?"

=absolutelly no "scripted-loop" needed just CDML tags

-Should I recreate the layout in Frontpage or can I just copy over code into Frontpage?

=YES..I think...not following...what code.....it is simply HTML with some parts declaring that eg. this table cell contains field...to get the taste of "code look"

look at this attachement at this post : http://www.fmforums.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB12&Number=60999&Forum=All_Forums&Words=dreambeaver&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=47684&Search=true#Post60999

-the first thing to do is to remove the scripts from the web layouts ...

= no need to remove any script just do not call them from the pages....layout used for the web only needs to have all the fileds (involved in the process) present...the look and all doesn't matter

the best thing is just to try and see how far u get smile.gif

all the best!

This topic is 7616 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.