Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 7579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I was just on another forum where Chopper had posted a list of Filemaker Error codes. Mentioned he had it in Filemaker. I decided to put the list in filemaker. I'm posting it here because now that I'm learing scripts this will be very handy. Hope its useful to others. This list is also available in the Filemaker help section.

Michael

Lee,

I believe they are the same I copied them from another forum where Chopper had the list. I just thought it would be nice to have them in actual database where I could put notes(hence the light bulb)as to what was the fix. Obviously alot of the errors the fix is obvious, but for scripting I find it handy. For some new people the fix page might be useful.

Michael

Hi Lee,

They are the same....but I think it's a good idea to post them here, as many users don't even know how to use this online help smirk.gif or didn't even know these codes were there. Actually, Michael said there where inside FM Help....

Now, are there other codes with FM6.0 ?

Hi Michael,

I lot of us, myself included, have tried putting FM error codes into an FM database at one time or another - but many who have will have come to the conclusion that it is not ideal - and that in fact, having the error codes in a FileMaker database is one of the less useful places for them, because when you are in need of them most is likely to be when you are three (or more) layers deep in dialogs in the midst of a longish script.

At the very least in such a situation, you have to do a temporary 'patch' on whatever script calc is currently in process (so that you can close the dialog, back out of all the other dialogs, go to the reference database, then come back and go all the way back in, find out where you were up to and insert the relevant data. Hardly ergonomic. If you do this with any frequency, you'll soon start looking for a more convenient way to look codes up.

One such way is, of course, already available in the form of the online help files that ship with FileMaker, as you've already mentioned. Another way (much too 'low tech' for some and altogether too ingenious for others... smile.gif ) is to simply print off the error codes and keep them in a handy location.

For folks who are fortunate enough to have more than one version of FMP installed on the machine(s) they habitually use, or to have access to FMD, the option exists to view error codes in an FM database in an alternate version of FM or in a runtime (thus obviating the need to close all the dialogs). But when all is said and dome, this is scarcely more convenient than just looking them up in the help viewer. Moreover if you move around client sites, the help viewer has the distinction of always being at hand, whereas other purpose-built tools may not be.

Nevertheless, I applaud your desire to get organised and serious about scripting - and to share the fruits of your labours with others on this forum. wink.gif

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.