Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Remote Access

Lucky

This topic is 7531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

The company I work for is looking at linking its 2 remote offices with its main office so that everyone shares the one FM database which is based at head office.

The 2 remote offices are about 200 miles apart from one and other. And we would also like to be able to log in from our homes at night. This could increase the user access to

12 at Head office, 5 at Remote sites and a possible 5 from there homes.

We are all Mac based 9.2 and 10.2 and will be using Filemaker Pro 6 + FM Server.

I have checked broadband availability and it will be available mid October 2003.

Is this the best route for us to take? ADSL, iSDN or Other

Do you have any information that will help.

Regards

Peter

More important than the type of "broadband" access is how you will share the databases. Filemaker is a LAN based and optimized application. Even the best case broadband (1.5 megabit) is 10x - 100x SLOWER than your LAN.

Given the low number of users what I would suggest is that you setup 5 machines at the head office and use Timbuktu to connect from your remote locations. Even on a slow (56k) dialup connection you will get acceptable performance, because Timbuktu only needs to transmit mouse, keyboard and screen changes.

Security is also a concearn, by using Timbuktu (which is encrypted) you will not be exposing your databases to the internet. Filemaker data transmission is unencrypted.

I agree with Kurt - on a very graphics-intensive database project, the company owner suddenly decided he wanted access from home (on a dialup) and Timbuktu was the only way it could work.

As far as IDSN, DSL, etc, it really makes very little difference. Look at the throughput and prices and use whichever works out best. FileMaker won't care in any case.

-Stanley

The only 4 things which work for remote access to FM:

1. Do it as web application in CDML -- Custom Web Publishing. It will work over 33k line.

2. Buy single windows machine and run Terminal Services. That works around the Globe and OK with 64k ISDN. MacX has Terminal Services (free) client.

3. Get every user machine at main location with VNC, Timbuktu, and PC Anywhere. Works from 64k, but it is still slow.

4. Completely separate data from design. Works from 64k up depending on complexity.

As for FM -- FM direct -- we did try from 512k to T1 and it is not so good, like the other options, AND NO FANCY GRAPHIC on layouts!

HTH

Thanks for replying but now I'm confused.

I have spoke to filemaker about this and they have suggested using Terminal Services.

They tell me they now use this at there offices and don't have any speed issues.

Does anyone know were I could go and see a Filemaker Database and Terminal Services set up to see how well it works. I'm situated in the South East of England.

_______

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Peter-

Also take a look at SyncDeK:

http://www.syncdek.com

This is a way to distribute the database to users. They can work with a copy of the database, and synchronize (with the Server and each other) as necessary. This is especially useful for any users who need to work on the database "offline"--on an airplane, at a job site, at remote offices or from home over an otherwise slow and insecure connection.

Jay Gonzales

[email protected]

This topic is 7531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.