Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Formats for Developer Documentation

This topic is 7504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Lets face it, the Comment function is FileMaker just doesn't cut it.

What sort of systems for documentin has any of you come up with, as far a making a large system transferable to another developer?

I usually make ERD (OmniGraffle http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/) , with some notes (on paper) for development, and a Word manual for the users (going to switch to HTML I think). As well I follow the CoreSolutions Development Guildlines (http://www.coresolutions.ca/Resources/standards.lasso), which helps much.

Without spending money on other software, what other methods are out there?

I have tried to apply what I have learned in school with the SDLC and RAD implementation into my FM solutions. But it just doesn't quite fit. I end up skipping steps and putting thing where they need to be because development in FM is like nothing else.

As far as documentation, I hardly use the comment step. I do, however, use the DDR provided by FM Developer. One of my solutions has over 600 fields and about 200 scripts, so it's hard to keep track of that stuff. If an outside developer had to come in, he would be lost. But the DDR works well for that.

Bob Weaver had posted an excellent alternative. It had all the functions of the DDR, and you didn't need to buy Developer. The only thing different is the ddr can give you a report in XML format.

If I remember correctly, there should be a couple of types of documentation: system and user. the ddr gives me good system documentation, and I have detailed user instructions in pdf format. HTML format is an excellent idea.

Thanks for the core solutions link. I'll have to look into that.

Ken

I just use extra layouts in the database to explain the inner works, to comment fields etc.

I do not like using underscores in fieldnames (like the CoreSolutions development guideline suggests(?)) but I do use prefixes to identify the fieldtypes. This results in names like 'gFirstName' and makes it possible to select a fieldname in a calculation dialog by doubleclicking the name.

User manuals (if any...) are in .pdf format and online help, of course on -yet even more- layouts...

I would personally not distribute documentation in 'Word' format because it forces people to buy a license of the software, just to read documentation.

Regards,

Ernst

This topic is 7504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.