Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need to find a bar code scanner

This topic is 7470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to find a scanner that I can program the ctl 1 into to it to fire a FMP script when a barcode is scanned. I was looking at the Wasp CCD LR Kit but they said it could only do a shift ctl 1 which doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to other scanners that I could purchase? It needs to be able to be put into a stand for hands free scanning. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I use a barcode scanner with a custom Visual Basic app I wrote. It is a serial interface (that way users can still use FMP)

It logs the scan and time to a file and also triggers a script via ActiveX

If FMP is not running then the data is still logged.

The script just does an import.

Let me know if this can help and what you application is and you might be able to use my software.

Charles

We use the HHP 3800 series of scanners to do exactly what you're talking about - launch scripts that have a menubar shortcut. They are programmable, and the people at HHP will actually help you with it when you call them with a question. We use them with Macs and with Windows; the 3800 is also super sturdy. However, it won't do hands-free, as the user needs to hold down the trigger. If that's really a hindrance to you, I'd imagine that HHP must have a hands-free scanner that uses the same engine as the 3800.

-Stanley

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I ordered a HHP 3800 scanner this morning. They said it will do what we want so we will see. The 3800 does do hands-free, you just need to purchase a stand for it. I believe they said the stand will hold the trigger so you don't have to pull it every time.

Thanks again!

John

John:

Glad to have been of help. I didn't know there was a stand for the 3800. The trigger being down all the time might cause a problem, though - if I remember right there's a way to build a delay (of, say, five seconds) into the scan routine, which would stop the thing from sending an endless number of cmd-1 (or whatever) signals to the computer, if a barcode is left under the scanner too long.

-Stanley

Stanley,

I got the 3800 in today and have been doing some experimenting with it. I programmed it to send a ctl 1 which fires off my script. In my script, I enter find mode and I want the barcode that is scanned in to enter into a field. Its not doing this. It executes the script but it doesn't enter in anything to the field. Here is what my script looks like:

Go to layout[CheckInBatches]

Show All Records

Go to Field [barcodeScan]

Enter Find Mode

Perform Find

Insert Calculated Result [DateReturned,Today]

I tried putting a pause statement in after the enter find mode but that didn't make a difference. I think I am missing something here but haven't been able to figure out what it is. Can you give me any pointers?

Thanks again!

John

the stand will hold the trigger so you don't have to pull it every time

Actually handsfree is an option in the firmware, you just have to scan a bar code to turn it on. Holding down the trigger wouldn't work cause you'd have to release the trigger after every scan (scanning stops after a successful scan in trigger mode, even if the trigger is still being held).

I agree that the 3800 is a great scanner - probably the best choice for a linear hand scanner. The 3800i looks great with Apple hardware too!

John:

Sorry I didn't respond earlier - I had forgotten about putting a delay in. The 3800 is really flexible, and after a bit of trial and error, it does exactly what you want.

-Stanley

This topic is 7470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.