Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Clear Field from a calculation field

KnightShift

This topic is 7390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You could do this by making field2 a calculation field, but then you couldn't directly input text into it. Text would have to be placed there via a script of some kind.

Why don't you want to use a script? You could make a small transparent circle and place it on top of the "No" radio button. This circle would run a one-line script, SetField(Field2, ""). The field would clear whenever the "No" button is clicked, and no one need ever know it was a script doing the clearing.

Steve Brown

Well, first let me say your idea was indeed a creative option, but it

just doesn't work 100% of the time.

I'd rather use scripts, but the reason that I'm not is that is db frontend is

working much like a "Wizard" which requires our user's to enter data into field1 before field2 becomes even visible and so forth through 10-15 fields.

There is not a optimal method to trigger a script based upon a change of a radio button from yes back to no. And the key to the next field (in question)becoming visibile is if there it or is not text in that field.

I don't want to 'short change' my users, but most of them don't even know about right clicking, so I have got to make the wizard part run with a little user

interface as possible. This would be a no-brainer in Access or VB (lost focus event), but since I have already have 60 some db's running for the company, I've to stick with the standard.

Sorry for the long story

Try making Field2 a regular text field, but click "options" (during definition) and choose "calculated result." Now you can make the calc test Field1 for "No" and empty itself if found. Doing it this way, rather than a "real" calculation field, makes Field2 editable. It will empty only when Field1 has its radio button clicked, and then only on exit from Field1. Once you've exited Field1, Field2 acts like any normal text field until the next time someone clicks "No."

This may or may not help. Field2's content is a lot more open to accidental modification this way, but if it is carefully placed in your wizard chain, so the user can't get at it at the wrong time, it could do the job.

Steve Brown

"There is not a optimal method to trigger a script based upon a change of a radio button from yes back to no. "

Right, FileMaker can't natively trigger a script based on changing a field. But the point is, you can change a field based on a script. I don't see why it wouldn't work 100% of the time as you say. Just don't allow entry into the field and/or take it out of the tab order. Right-clicking has nothing to do with it. (Now if your goal is to not require mouse clicking at all, that's a different story.) So the user has to click on the button, and that triggers the script:

Set field [Field1, "No"]

Set field [Field2, ""]

This topic is 7390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.