Server Maintenance This Week. ×

sort script

This topic is 7388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

in my database i'm constantly getting this error message:

The previous script step, "Sort", could not be completed because it restores an invalid request. Do you wish to continue with this script?"

when i run the following script line: Sort[Restore, No dialog]

is there some global or application setting or preference i need to set?

what causes this message to appear?

Hi jon,

I would print the script and and see what it is (isn't) doing. There appears to be a step that can not be perform because of a change to the script, a field, or file.

HTH

Lee

smile.gif

ok, further investigation reveals...

if i try and sort from the icon on the toolbar i get the following message

"Some fields in the sort order are invalid or cannot be sorted. You must remove these fields"

i'm then presented with the sort dialog box with the legend "Field Missing" in the sort order, which i replace with a valid field, click on sort and done and it sorts.

However if i then click again on the sort icon on the toolbar it happens all over again...........

arrgghhhh...... is something somewhere else re-inserting an invalid sort field??

Preform the sort manually using the Sort under Menu - Records - Sort. Once the sort is complete, go to ScriptMaker, and select the Script used in the Button, choose Edit, and then click okay. You will get a dialog box asking if you want to "Keep" or "Replace" the "Sort", choose "Replace". Now the button should act like you want it to.

Lee

You are welcome, Glad it worked.

Now, if you don't already know what the problem was, print out the script again and compare it to the first one, and you will see what the problem was.

HTH

Lee

i think the problem was in the keepreplace bit which kept data from some other sort info from the purchase order sample file i "borrowed" the code from. i couldn't find any documentation on that so just "kept" the original data.

its a bit "left-field" to keep context data in that format, it really is a fine example of what happens when data and interface are so thoroughly mingled (or mixed up).

This topic is 7388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.