Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 7390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is my first database,if anyone would be kind enough to give it a look over i would appreciate it,its fairly basic as i only got filemake 10 days ago.Im looking for some constructive criticism really as ive made it up as i go along and i know it can be improved,key thing though is? will it work or not,

cheers

Looks pretty good to me! I only skimmed over it briefly.

Did you use Ugo's template for this? A couple of things that stuck out:

1. You have scripts called date plus/minus 1. You don't really need these, you could use calcs to figure these out, instead of running scripts.

2. I cannot access the Weekly Activity file. It wasn't included.

3. The List button in the Purchases file doesn't have a list layout to go to. There is one, but it looks like it's for printing. Also, on most of your list layouts, the title header is clear, while the form layout headers are striped.

4. It might be nice to have like the record creation date, record numbers or mod dates on some of the layouts.

This seems to be some sort of dispatch/tracking database. I didn't get into the solution too much, so only you would be able to know if it truly works and meets your needs by doing a good amount of testing and a "live run"

But it looks pretty good.

Not bad , wages file downlaoded damaged.

Work Summarry Missing

Most important for Mac user if you wish to share with PC

include the extension at the end of the file.

I AssUMed it was a current addition of FM so I added .fp5 , which in turn I

should have added .fp3, but anyway by not getting in the habit when creating it is a problem when you carry over to PC. Not only fileNames but could effect scripting and relationships.

It's a P.I.A. to have to direct the file to the proper linking file each time you do something.

*-)

Thanks guys, still got plenty to do, but I was expecting more problems than you have noticed anyway, as for the PC thing, never touched one and never gonna...i really appreciate your time and effort though, wish i could return the favour!

P.s yes used ugos template,so thanks to him,if nothing else it looks pretty to a mac lifer

Still a daily Mac Users. But in this house it's PC 3 Mac 1.

At work approx 75-25% Mac, Job before that 95-5% Mac.

I am probably one of the Mac commercial rejects. You know "I just switched to Mac". Because I find that FM has W A Y more options on the PC with legs. [Not to mention you can buy 2 or 3 PC for the price of a Mac.]

P.S. If you insist on no extensions , then you should at least warn the downlaoders that it Mac. *-)

the extensions thing,so i should go to save as and add the extension,like say in photoshop,because upto now i havent saved anything, filemaker does this auto update thing,so i just work on my db then quit,is that the wrong way to do it then??

dont really want to get into a mac /pc thing but you can buy 3 fords for the price of one mercedes

60minuteman:

Regarding the extensions (and I haven't looked at the files yet) you can't just tack them on, because the relationships will break. If it's too much work, the only way to fix the setup is to use FileMaker Developer, which has a tool for just this. You rename the files, and it goes in and fixes all the relationships and scripts for you, using the new file names.

And Chopper, I've been using Macs since '84, and I've never needed an anti-virus app... Disk Doctor, well, that's a whole different topic...

-Stanley

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.