Needing Advice

Bitt

This topic is 7363 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been faithfully trying to sort this out on my own, but maybe this is the question i need to ask, instead of programming tidbits...so here it is:

I've made a database that holds graphics and text. It took a while to make, but I'm quite happy with the results. Now I want to take it to the web, I thought, in a dynamic fasion. So I tried instant web publishing. MSIE was great, but other browser just choked on it. Then I read the folks at FM got the same result, and don't care to support netscape. I figure that forcing my audience into MSIE isn't an option so I tried a little script in XML. Same result. Now I'm digging into this php business, hoping for the answer but I am not making much headway. Originally I thought ODBC would be the simple answer, in that I could generate a static page, and regenrate it say daily or something...but filemaker5.5 refused to export a graphic..which is why i've been on the hunt for a manageable alternative. I didn't think what I wanted to do would be quite so difficult. Now I have a confusing collection of files, and test files, none of which seem eager to fit the bill. Could someone please comment or advise me on a path to take other than the delete button, I"m getting very discouraged. I thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Bit.

Your most likely problem is the "Instant Web Publishing". Your solution may require custom written web pages to display properly. This basically entails building a web page and embedding the CDML/XML (for FMP WebCompanion) or LDML (for Lasso) tags into the page to show the data from Filemaker.

In my forays into web publishing, I found the CDML/LDML language pretty easy to use (XML is still a mystery to me), but my web page skills suck.

Re:"I've made a database that holds graphics and text. It took a while to make, but I'm quite happy with the results. Now I want to take it to the web,"

Alas, serving graphics to the www via FileMaker, while possible, is a waste of the FileMaker resource and a potential drag on the functionality of the site. You will be better off storing the graphics in a folder and linking to them from FileMaker. And you will want to use CWP at the minimum, which is just CDML embedded into HTML.

I do believe there is a solution or two in the Sample Files forum which display images to the web.

Bon chance.

This topic is 7363 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.