Really need help!

This topic is 8361 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The FMP5 database is located in the server as a host and shared for all guests users over the local area network.

I want to prevent more than one user viewing a specific layout at the same time. Anyone have idea to write this script?

• 2 weeks later...

put a [set multiuser=off] script step at the beginning of a script. after that the file will not be accessible over the network. if anyone else is using the file when you run the script, they'll be asked to close the file.

The first thing I would do is to ensure that moving between layouts is a scripted step, and that the users do not have the privilege of simply scrolling to a different layout via a layout menu.

I would include a numeric field for this layout and set it to 0. Whenever a script calls this layout for the first time, the field would be set to 1. If another tries to go this layout, the script checks this field, if it is 1, a message would display "I'm sorry this layout is in use by another user". When the original user is finished with the layout, the field would be reset to 0.

This allows other users to use other parts of the database without forcing them to close the file.

Hope this helps. tongue.gif" border="0

-SM

Just a numeric field for your flag (semaphore) won't work, as each record could have a different value for the field. You could have as many users on the layout as you have records, if each was on a different record. A global won't work either, as each user has his own set. What you have to do is create another database file with only one record and create a numeric field in this file to use as the flag.

-bd

This topic is 8361 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.