Clearing repeating fields

This topic is 8391 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know repeating fields are evil but part of my solution requires importing multiple line item records into a single record in another file with repeating fields. I can get the import to work by setting a global repeating field with the values from individual records then importing those fields into the other file. The problem is that after import I need to go back and clear all the repeats for the next import. Using set field for "" for every repeat of the global fields works but it seems there should be a better way. There should be a way to use loop but I can't seem to figure it out.

Any ideas would help.

Thanks,

Wayne

• Newbies

Duplicate your database without the repeating field (tempdb). Select the records you wish to clear in the main database. Create scripts to import the selected record(s) to the tempdb. Use matching names. Delete the records in your main database. Import the records in your temp database into your main database. Delete all records in your tempdb.

Sounds complicated; however, it is only a few lines of code and it sure beats the options.

By the way,don't use set field for "", rather, use clear(field).

If the repeating fields are setup with tabs on, there are 2 techniques that John Mark Osborne came up with that might make thins a little easier. Do a search at "www.databasepros.com" for reapeating fields.

This topic is 8391 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.