pulling up specific files for an index

This topic is 7324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been thinking about this for a while and cant get any where.

I have made a Timer that is based on projects.

Multi users can access it and it is based on project numbers. In a separate field their user name appended- this is unique and has been indexed.

By using this index I can present the user with a list of projects via index. Each user has their own timer for a project and as such a project can have as many timers as there are users.

My problem is I dont know how to isolate the job numbers that the user has created, so an index list shows only projects they have created.

I dont want to create a relationship file for each user.

thanks

You only need 1 relationship, from the user's name, in an unstored field, either global or calculation (read on) to the user name you say you have. The problem is, how do you know who they are?

There are a few different ways to tell, from having them pick their name from a drop-down list (easy but not secure at all; but maybe that doesn't matter), to using the "user name" in their Filemaker Preferences, to creating a Login file, etc.. It mostly depends on whether they can view others' projects. If so, then a simple drop-down list should suffice. How are you getting their name into the other file?

Hi Fenton

Each time a new timer is created a script inserts the Current User into a field (sourced from OS system prefs). That field is then added to the job reference to get the field I am indexing ( jobref_username).

The indexed file is used inside a script so i dont see how a pull down menu would work

If you know who they are, Status(CurrentUser), and you know what records are theirs, since you marked them, what's stopping a relationship between the two fields? If you have a relationship, you do anything you want.

I don't know exactly what you're trying to do. It's certainly possible, and even easy, but I can't tell what it is. It sounded like you wanted to present a "filtered" list of projects, to only those belonging to the Current User.

This topic is 7324 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.