Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problems with FileMaker 7

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FM7 seems to have bugs in layout mode - or just be extremely slow. When I try to drag anything in Layout mode, it takes about 4 seconds before I get any reaction from FileMaker. Then, once I've positioned the element, it takes another full second for FileMaker to recognize that I've released the mouse. In short, it feels like I'm wading through molasses.

This happens both on my home computer (XP Pro, 1600x1200 resolution) and my work computer (W2K Pro, 2560x1024 resolution).

I've tried re-installing FM7 but still have the same problem. Has anybody else noticed this?

Version: v7.x

Platform: Windows 2000

Are you using a beta or trial version?

I have noticed some weird behaviors that I chalked up to an early beta.

-

Another bug ...

A portal defined as a button with the initial field set to something other than 1. - doesn't work

All those fine graphics Ugo gave us all do not

do well when FileMaker converts to 7.

According to FM site owners of V 2.1 through 6.0 can upgrade to 7

but I have not seen anywhere where it says 7 is compatible with v5 or v5.5

server , so if businesses what to keep up with the latest version they must again shell out the $$ for a server upgrade which is not even released yet.

Also what about all those FMU 5 - 6 owners , With the new planned FileMaker Server 7 Advanced. Does this mean they have to redo all their files , Like all the creative dev's have to redo their graphics?

I think it is bad timing , If they wish to release non-compatible client version , then they should have the server released on the same day. Not "Plans for release in the Summer"

I thought so too. But ya know there is going to be considerable PLANNING that will go in to this transition unlike ever before. This will give us all TIME to migrate our solutions over or Prepare them for migration. Or force us to rebuild them.

FileMaker Server (5.5) does not host FileMaker Pro 7 files. FileMaker Server 7 and FileMaker Server 7 Advanced are totally new products, and their functionality is very different than their predecessors. Moreover, the relationship between FIleMAker Pro client and the two new Server versions is different than between the old Server (5.5) and FMP 6.

Please see the FileMaker Server 7 Yechnical Brief at:

www.filemaker.com/upgrade/techbriefs.html

There is no more Unlimited version after FileMaker Pro 6 Unlimited. Web publishing is now server side.

HTH

Steven

Hi Robert,

I have the feeling there would be some major updates to be made to our solutions anyway...

But that's how it can cost us to have some powerful dbs.

Well, I'll let you investigate with it, since I've just bought 5 brand new OS9.2 on friday...to fit my poor Imac G3 and my personal G4.

I'm not gonna buy OSX Panther for those machines now.

Very disappointed to be on the other side of the track on that one. I'd have loved to hear at least of this OSX Limitations before going to this stupid purchase.:

I'll still would post on the Older Versions though... crazy.gif

Okay here's a problem I've found I have with one of my solutions running under FileMaker7. I have a Calculation field called helpPageURL which uses the following calculation:

"http://paradigm-360.com/360Help/" & Get ( FileName ) & ".html"

It used to use Status(CurrentFileName) in FileMaker5.5 and it always worked fine but what happens now under 7 with Get ( FileName ) while looking at the value of the field on the screen it shows the URL written in the proper syntax:

http://paradigm-360.com/360Help/HistoricalDatabase.html

But when you click on a button that has a script attached with the OpenURL function the URL that the browser tries to open then appears as:

http://paradigm-360.com/360Help/historicaldatabase.html

The part of the field that is created by the Get ( FileName ) step is spelled out in lower case letters and being that help page is on a UNIX server that gives me a 404 error.

I can work around that by changing the names for all the help pages I have but I just thought I throw that out for everyone else to watch out for too.

Another problem is all the fonts in my solution that were written in smaller font sizes 10 pt. Helvetica are now sort of fuzzy and hard to read and the leading renders differently than it did before so I going to have to change all that too. Switching to 10 pt. Verdana seems to improve readability What do you folks think? I've only checked out FP7 on my Mac today but how will that font change will work on the Windows platform?

While I've just explained two problems I've encountered that's really outweighed so far by some of the new features to FileMaker7 that I've seen and plan on using so I am excited and pleased with what I see so far for the most part.

Hi Paolo,

Some memebers of the FM Alliance had beta versions to try out as far back as January I believe, but they are under obligation not to give anything away to others.

Someone's got to try it out before it gets released to the rest of us!

Cheers

Ed

EddyB said:

Some memebers of the FM Alliance had beta versions to try out as far back as January I believe, but they are under obligation not to give anything away to others.

I know. It was just a joke. I'm not angry with Stephen!

Someone's got to try it out before it gets released to the rest of us!

Ed

before and... after! tongue.gif

Version: 7.0beta Trial

Platform: MacOs X

From forthcoming Migration/Conversion documentation:

A password in an older version FileMaker Pro file will convert to an Account with the Account Name the same as the old password and with the Account Password the same as the old password. This is a fundamental conceptual point to remember. It has implications for on

My experience just now, after trying my absolutely-not-forgotten password many times, was that I needed to *blank* the Account Name field, even though it was by default putting in my user name, which I assumed was right. Perhaps I had no User Name on the old file, and just a password... but it may trip up quite a few folks when FM7 defaults to specifying something that was not part of the old security process...

A password in an older version FileMaker Pro file will convert to an Account with the Account Name the same as the old password and with the Account Password the same as the old password. This is a fundamental conceptual point to remember. It has implications for on

andygaunt said:

Mariano -

I have noticed this delay on the trial version of FileMaker Pro 7.

Hopefully IF my purchased copy turns up tomorrow I will tell you if the same problems exist in that version

I'm using the trial version and seeing the layout mode delay discussed here. Can anyone verify that this is fixed in the full release?

Thanks,

Matthew

Version: v6.x

Platform: Windows XP

I have noticed the same slow thing in layout mode.

I imported on of my solutions in to FileMaker 7, on the customer detail page I have 6 value lists that is defined in another file, that was slow! I click on it and FM 7 takes up to 10 seconds to show the value list. I have also a fielded set to radio buttons, the field are controlled by a Scripts, user click on the radio button and a properties is set for the customer, this takes also very long time to complete.

I cannot see how we can upgrade to FileMaker 7 with these kind of behavior!

Version: Developer v6

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Very strange,

At Home, Win XP, 512 Mb, I have this problem and at work Win 2000, 256 Mb, everything works fine.

I've been thinking of a combination with other software. Is this a possible cause ?

Regards,

Peter

Version: v7.x

I just noticed that the slow response is not only in layout mode. In browse mode, click anywhere on the background. Normally in FM6 this would outline the fields on the layout that had the option to allow entry enabled. In FM7 it still shows the same thing, but it takes about 1 second or more for this to happen, as well the mouse is frozen for that time. The general impression is that your computer has frozen and that there is something wrong with the system.

While as developers we may be willing to put up with the slow response in layout mode, users will not be so forgiving and this is very bad for a user interface.

Leo

Regarding passwords I noticed the conversion can set the user name to "Admin" and password blank. this was on file where not password had previously been set

Try that if other methods dont work

Yes all files now have passwords. if you convert a file that ahd no passwords or make one afresh in FIleMAker Pro 7, a default account "Admin" with no passwords will be created and will be set for automatic log-in.

Good security practices would mandate that the auto log-in be disabled and that the account be given a password. I'd also recommend changing the default name from "Admin" to something else.

Steven

Vic_Peter said:

At Home, Win XP, 512 Mb, I have this problem and at work Win 2000, 256 Mb, everything works fine.

I've been thinking of a combination with other software. Is this a possible cause ?

Same thing here, at home on two machines Windoze XP Home works fine. At work Windows 2000 Pro, I get the lag and stickiness in layout mode. I've tried to pay attention to anything running in the background, but can't find anything unusual or siginificant.

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.