Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How do YOU make popup menus look OK?

CyborgSam

This topic is 7343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I asked this before but didn't get answers from all the guru Carpal Tunnels wink.gif

How do YOU make popup menus look OK when displaying value lists? The goal is to get the serialized record ID of the record whose value is selected in the popup.

An alternative in FM7: a field could be made into a button with a script that pops up a window with a portal, where each line is a button scripted to set the proper value and close the window.

Here's what I have done, attached are two FM6 files.

[color:"red"]Scenarios Basics:

Related file has serialized record IDs in field RecID. A calculation field has person's name: c.LastCommaFirst. The main file has a field formatted as a popup menu.

[color:"red"]Scenarios 1:: Value list with RecID in first field and c.LastCommaFirst second field. This works OK, but the popup is not user friendly. Displaying only the number when the menu is not popped up is a major interface problem.

[color:"red"]Scenarios 2: Value list with a calculated text field c.PopupMenuText containing: Right("00000" & NumToText(RecID), 6) & " " & c.LastCommaFirst. Converting the text to a number requires a script step. Sorting the list requires a script plus the addition of a sort order to the front of the text, e.g.: Right("00000" & NumToText(SortOrder), 6) & Right("00000" & NumToText(RecID), 6) & " " & c.LastCommaFirst. I've modified fonts so that the digits 0..9 are 0 width, this displays a good popup. If the popup text contains numbers, this doesn't work.

Any better solutions for FM6?

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

PopupTest.zip

Use your scenario 1, but overlay the menu field with a field that shows the name but is not accessible. That way, when you click there, it pops up the menu field that's behind it.

I've tried all that stuff and in the end forgot it. It doesn't matter.

Most of my FMP-system users are also users of our corporate database (Oracle) systems. They are used to pick lists with a serial number list/menu with a display field to the right. It works well, nothing is hidden or operates unexpectedly; and it is quick for me to build and for them to use, so we all get to finish our work early on Friday afternoons and get home before dark.

That's what's important. Not whether it looks like XP or Aqua.

I do have an alternative when there is a huge value list (like a contact list) and there is lots of room on the layout: a scrolling portal with a type-ahead. People click on the portal row and it adds the item to another portal to the right. Serial numbers are being referenced but the user only sees the contact name.

Hi,

Scenario1 has that disadvantage that it is stored on ID, while scenario3 can pull duplicates...except if any existing duplicate is flagged so that you'd use a calculated field in your related file (stored) and have a list as :

Axel, Wally 1

Axel, Wally 2

Doe, John

etc.

Now, if there are possible duplicates, then you should revert to a portal as Vaughan suggested, because it is still useless to have a 1 or 2 as it doesn't help picking up the desired value.

With a portal, you could have a "check" button leading to some more info about this "value" if needed.

> Most of my FMP-system users are also users of our corporate database (Oracle) systems.

Most of my users wouldn't know an Oracle from a fortune teller... tongue.gif My users are typically office users: Word, Excel, Web, Email, with no corporate db experience. So I want the interface to look and act like the usual apps as much as possible.

Vaughn: I work at home, so what should I do Friday afternoons? wink.gif

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

I saw Jessica Simpson on Jay Leno last night.

What an airhead... Jay tripped her up on some simple questions. Her singing stinks and her stage presence looks like a really bad soap opera performance.

OK, now I really need some heavy Chicago Blues.

This topic is 7343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.