Server Maintenance This Week. ×

filling fields in a found set

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was recently given a database that needs fixing. It is a mailing list with only one field containing name and address. I want to break up the information into individual fields. Almost everyone in the mailing list lives in one of three towns.

For example, I want to search for people who live in Montclair. Is there any way to put 07046 into the ZIP code field in one shot instead of entering it one record at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Version: v7.x

Platform: Windows XP

If you simply want to replace the contents of a zip field with 07046 for the found set of Montclair you would:

Perform a find on Montclair.

Enter 07046 in the zip code.

Now, do not leave the zip code but instead go to the records menu and choose replace field contents.

the default option will now be replace the contents of the zip field for the current found set with the contents of the current field, namely 07046.

Click the replace button and you are done.

Now, do make sure you are on the correct FOUND set as this will replace the contents of the Zip field in ALL the found records with the current contents.

HTH

And then if you want to remove the zip from the source field, you can click in the field and Replace with a calculation:

Substitute(YourField, "07046", "")

I recommend you make a copy of the entire database before you start doing any of this.

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.